Using superthin superglue

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

Using superthin superglue

Post by DeltaVee »

I assume the proper scenario for using this is when you can hold 2 parts together because they will bond instantly? I have such a scenario with a cleanly snapped resin wing. Will I have any time to adjust it if needed? The break is so clean that I don't want to just use the bottle dropper and flood the join line. I have a forked superglue applicator. Will thin superglue stay on it? In short, who's successfully applied water-thin superglue and what's your technique?
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

I don't worry so much about flooding anymore with superglue. I've discovered that once the parts are stuck together, a q-tip dipped in acetone can be used to wipe off the excess, even if it's solidified, without harming the inside of the join.

Knowing that makes things so much easier.
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks. Good to know. I'd better send my hazmat suit to the dry cleaners. That's half the battle. My hands are so shaky that I like a little time to make sure I'm happy with the alignment. Of course, by then... :roll:
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I apply a couple small small drops, then after those are set I use the forked applicator to flow more along the joint. Typically I sand it smooth after then buff it shiny.

You may want to pin the wing, though, for strength. The superglue doesn't take much torque.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

There, see, I knew someone would make it hard if I left this post up. :D
I've been afraid to try pinning cause I never knew how anyone drilled holes in both parts that would line up.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Hole in part 1 - exact size of pin.
Hole in part 2 - bigger than pin.
Just enough epoxy putty to expand and fill the hole but not the joint - convenient.

Get it lined up, touch your CA applicator to the joint and let the epoxy cure. Then you can come back and hit the rest of the joint with the CA filler.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati