Clear Coats and Clear Parts?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Tchail

Clear Coats and Clear Parts?

Post by Tchail »

I'm told that before applying decals, it's best to apply a clear coat to your model in order for decals to set better.

But what about the clear parts on your kit?

Should you mask off all clear parts before applying a clear coat?

Thanks in advance,

-Tchail
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
duck

Post by duck »

YES! Mask off clear parts before clear coating! I always wind up missing something and the clear coat leaves frosting on clear parts.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

The exception is Future. Straight Future, with nothing else in it can be sprayed over clear parts with no problem. Assuming, of course, you don't spray it wrong and make the surface have runs or a grainy appearance - clear parts notwithstanding, you have to be wary of this.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

I usually try to keep the clear parts completely away from the model until the last possible minute. Keep my fingers off of it, keep the paint off of it, keep the glue off it!

It's one of the big reasons I haven't messed with my 1/350 Enterprise yet. I am not looking forward to all of the little bits of masking tape that is undoubtedly going to be involved with that build.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK