"non-hobby" primers

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

vlester

"non-hobby" primers

Post by vlester »

ok I admit, I've NEVER used a primer before. Bad modeler, I know...

That being said, is there a brand or color thats best to use? I don't have access to any of the Tamiya or Mr. Primer stuff but can get something from a department store, like a krylon maybe?

Any suggestions?
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

PlastiKote, or whatever the auto parts store sells. There's regular primer for just an even color, sandable primer for filling in some minor imperfections, and scratch-filling primer for doing just that. I haven't boought hobby store primer since I can remember, and have a strong suspicion that most of it is just re-packaged automotive material. Many disagree.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

not a bad modeler at all. It's a learning process always. You learn that laying down a coat of primer is better than painting on bare plastic, that's good.

Who else here had to learn the hard way that gobs of model glue won't work and that it's bad?
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

My favorite primer is Plasticote sandable primer from the auto aisle. It's not exactly cheap, but it's less expensive than hobby primers. It sucks for real cars, but is great for models. I do not like to spray it from the rattle can onto the model-- way too much paint, too much texture, no control. I decant the primer into a glass jar and spray it through my trusty Paasche VL with a heavy needle & head. It lays down super-smooth and dries fast. It's very nasty chemical-wise, and requires lacquer thinner for clean-up. Once the primer is on the plastic, though, there's not much that will hurt it. You can put any kind of regular hobby paint over it with no problem. I'm partial to the gray and white varieties. The dark red might be nice if you're building Maximilian from "The Black Hole."
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I like Duplicolor filling primer and Krylon grey. Duplicolor is an RPM company...which makes me think, too, hobby primers are repackaged.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
hackercat13

Post by hackercat13 »

I use cheap flat primer from Lowes or Ace, black or grey, then I decant it to a glass jar using a thick straw. Then I shoot it through my airbrush. Gives me the control I can't get with a rattle can, and I have never had issues with the results.
Chris
Silent enim leges inter arma