Light leaks, instrument panel lighting

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

fsgray

Light leaks, instrument panel lighting

Post by fsgray »

Looking at the 30th Anniv. Revell Viper, the main display is set up for lighting. I figure I'd epoxy a flat top LED (green?) to the back of the clear part, over which the display decal goes. Howver, from behind I'm thinking there would be a light in the nose area. Would this be an issue? Could I just use a bigger than normal resistor to tone down the light? How would it look with the open cockpit bottom?
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Maybe you could paint the LED, and the back of the clear panel, white to reflect the light back into the panel? Or wrap Bare Metal Foil around the LED and panrel back?

HTH
Where there's a Will....there's Probate.
fsgray

Post by fsgray »

Hmmm, that makes a lot of sense!
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

just get a small length of heat shrink tubing and shrink it around the part of the LED that extends behind the panel. That will also protect your wiring connections so they stay secure as you handle the LED during building. I'd also paint the sides and back of the panel just to be sure that only the front face emits the light.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

There are no objections to using a larger value resistor. The only place where you can get in trouble is if you use a resistor that is too small.