Basic modeling/scratchbuilding supplies?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Hiryu02

Basic modeling/scratchbuilding supplies?

Post by Hiryu02 »

Hey all,

I'm trying to get a list together for when I go to the LHS next on basic materials/supplies for minor modding and scratchbuilding. So far I have:

Aves Apoxie Sculpt, holiest of putties, Yea, O Ad(Minister)ers of Apoxie.

Scribing/cutting tools

Wet/Dry sandpaper

Styrene sheets, (aka Pla Plates?) what thickness should I be looking for? my LHS has the Evergreen brand.

What glue for gluing Aves to plastic? Or does it even need one?

Metal rods/tubing(?)

Also I see people using small cylinders to make tanks or ammo drums. Is this anything prefab, or are they building 'em out of something else?

This is all I can come up with, so suggestions/comments are welcome.

Thanks to all for your time.

PS. I apologize if this is the wrong forum. I just posted here as it seems to get more eye traffic, but feel free to move if needed. Thanks.
max142

Post by max142 »

Hiryu02: as far as plastic sheet: I like 1mm thick...my LHS is always out though. I use no trespassing signs from K-mart or Wally world; not the thin signs but, the thick ones...A good way to accumulate plastic is each time you go to the LHS grap an extra sheet of plastic or a pack of rods, beyond what you are using for your current project.
gluing: averies can be glued with regular CA (super glue), if the part is made separately. If the part is built on the model, then glue is not needed.
The best scribing tool I have is a needle stuck in an old handle.Stop by your local dollar store first to check out what they have...sandpaper(nail files, emery boards...on the makeup area), cheap paint for priming, ect. keep your eyes peeled, you don't know what you might find.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Aves sticks quite well to damned near anything. I've got some stuck to my airbrush that will not come off.

Styrene sheet thickness, I've got everything from .010 to .080 and looking to buy some .005 when my LHS gets it in. Evergreen strip stock is also very handy, saves a lot of time & frustration trying to cut it oneself.

Wave Black CA is highly recommended for glue things together. Carbon & rubber reinforced CA makes it very handy.

Metal tubing is up to you. I use the smaller diameter stuff (brass & aluminum) but switch to Evergreen's plastic tubing for the larger diameter. I've also started using carbon fiber rod for pinning parts together, lighter, stronger and CA sticks like crazy to it.

The Wave & Kotobukiya option parts are a godsend to detailing. The SSM store sells them if you don't want to order from HLJ.
Abolish Alliteration
Hiryu02

Post by Hiryu02 »

Yeah, I may look into the option parts from SSM. I do want to start making small mods/additions to my Gunpla kits. Minor stuff like filling in the hollow sides of armor panels, sharper spikes, etc.

However, I don't plan to doing anything crazy. A pet peeve of mine is when modelers slap on so many mods/screws/thrusters/etc that the kit is almost unrecognizable.

I do look forward to learning something a bit more advanced than simple OOB building.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Also, "for sale" signs at Wal-Mart are sheet styrene. They're about .020-to-030-of-an-inch thick.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
PetarB

Post by PetarB »

Kylwell wrote:Aves sticks quite well to damned near anything. I've got some stuck to my airbrush that will not come off.
How in heck did you get those two items together in the first place? :shock: