The very basics, I need help

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Cha

The very basics, I need help

Post by Cha »

Hey everyone,

I'm 18 and i've been making models since i was about 4, I used to only do tanks but about 8 years ago I started to broaden my range to anything I find i like which served me well. A few years back I bought myself an old AMT Defiant class starship and painted it up and stuck the decals on like you do, but now when I look at it it isn't as good as i would have liked it to be, so I have decided to paint and decal it again. Ive seen people light starships for years and always found it to look amazing but I never got round to doing it, so I thought I would try and light this one. The only problem being I know little to nothing about using LEDs, resistors or anything. I've opened up the Defiant and drilled holes for the windows and just bought some clear parts from http://dlmparts.com/moreparts.html. So I was just wondering if any of you had some spare time, if you could write me out a little walkthrough of how to light one of these ships up, using your infinite wisdom of course :wink: . Any help you could giv eme would be great.

Thanks for your time

Cha
jcdenton

Post by jcdenton »

Ummm, ok, where to start? Well, I for my part am in the progress of my first lit model as well (Look at my signature). I'm a mechanical engineer and electronics have never been my favorite, but I eventually got around to liking to wire up stuff to light things. What's probably best if you know nothing about LEDs and the likes is to look around the net for information on them. There are lots of sites out there that give you basic wiring diagrams that you can play around with. A very interesting site for noobs is http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/index.htm
You can look around to get information on basic components of electrical circuits and try their simple examples. They also provide you with a variety of formulas you will need when using LEDs. Don't worry, it's fairly easy. After you read around a bit, get yourself a bunch of LEDs and resistors, a 9V block battery, a soldering iron and start experimenting around. Don't worry if you burn out a few LEDs, it happens ;)

Then, for the Defiant... she is on my to-do list as well and I bought DLMs after market kits, too. What you'll need to do (well, not need, but should) is to first opaque the model so that light won't shine through areas where the plastic is rather thin and you don't want light to shine through. Simply spray-paint the entire inside black. On top of that, put a layer of white as to evenly distribute the light on the inside, as you won't be putting an LED behind every window, but still want all of them lit evenly. When done, you need to find places where to put LEDs. I think you'll need about 4 or 5 white LEDs to light the interior for window lighting. Next you need blue and red LEDs for the warp engines, bussard collectors and if you want to, the impulse engine. When putting the colored LEDs behind the colored parts you got from DLM, be advised to put a box around them to prevent blue and red light to go into the main hull or you will end up with red/blue/white windows (if that's what you want though, go for it ;) ). Then, you need to decide whether you want blinking nav and strobe lights or static ones. I'll probably try and do mine with blinking lights and use a 555 timer chip for it. Again, the site I've linked to above has quite some useful information on that chip as well. Very versatile and fairly easy to handle. Well, then put everything in place, reassemble her, repaint and redecal. Done. :) Don't forget to do light checks every now and then so you won't end up having her glued together and realizing that she doesn't light up anymore :)

There are others around here who actually already have built that ship and could give you more specific advice on it as I can. Though I hope, this little text of mine is of help to you ;)

Let us see some progress pix, when you're working on her! ;)

Cheers
JC

btw, I think your avatar is just a bit oversized. I think 80x80 was the maximum, but Mods, correct me if I'm wrong ;)
Trekmanscott

Post by Trekmanscott »

Welcome!
You could not have picked a better kit to light than the ERTL Defiant! The inside volume is huge. The DLM parts wer worth their weight in gold for turning that sows ear into a silk purse. If you sen me a PM with your e-mail address I will send you a lighting digram for the Defiant.

Scott
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" Leonard Nimoy
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Don't forget to check out the online build Trekman did for the Cardassin ship. (These are on the main site. . .)
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
Trekmanscott

Post by Trekmanscott »

:oops:
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" Leonard Nimoy
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

here's a direct link:
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/olb/ss_card.cfm

Scott covers it all from basic wiring to tricks that you use to when considering a bright light will be flooding ares of the ship.

The thing with electronics in models, is, they are fairly simple (its not an animitronic model or anything really fancy) so most of the hard stuff to get right is the non electronic things you don't realize you need to do until you start testing the lights. Then you notice things like light leakage, or bleed through, or light mixing. (I.E. red impulse engine light needs to be kept out of window lights). And Scott addresses these very easily in the online build article.

I only singled out Scott's article since he's right here ready to pitch in, and answer anything that isn't clear in his online article. But take some time to read the other online builds that have electronics added in. Anything that isn't understood just let it slide off. Use what you can and then if you start thinking of some questions check back here. We can answer and share other photos or diagrams.
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
jcdenton

Post by jcdenton »

Yeah, that's the link I was looking for. I knew I had seen that build-up before, but couldn't find it as I was looking in the reader's gallery. BTW Scott, nice fleet of Cardies you must have! :) This article shows exactly how to deal with the things I've mentioned in my first reply. Really nice work Scott! :thumbsup:
Trekmanscott

Post by Trekmanscott »

Thanks Guys! I really enjoyed that project and the model looks good on the shelf
Cha

Post by Cha »

Hey everyone,

Thanks a lot for all of the help. I will be sure to check out those sites. I was just wondering, seems as the clear parts are the correct colour would it be best to use white of coloured LEDs behind the transparent parts? Ive just finished getting her open and have sprayed her black inside, i need to order these DLM parts now. The most confusing part for me is the circuit board wriring. Also I was wondering how I would go about putting her on a wall built power supply rather than a battery?

Many thanks, I hope everyone is well
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

The Runabout also has quite a lot of space inside, and thus not dificult to light.