Suggestions for paint stripper?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Suggestions for paint stripper?

Post by tonyG2 »

I'm looking for suggestions for a poweful paint stripper to get paint off gashopon type collectible models. In this case, a Doyusha Saab Draken. The model is painted in fictional colours from the Area 88 anime and I'm planning to redo it as a correctly coloured Swedish airforce bird.

Problem is the paint (white undersude and garish two tone green upper) seems to resist every paint stripper in my lab! Ordinary thinners, turpentine etc Does nothing. Cellulose thinner has no effect. I've even had parts sunk in hydrolic fluid for three days and nothing! The only thing that comes close is Slaters Mek Pak glue and that damages the plastic.....
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Tried Castrol Super Clean yet?
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

Yep tried Casrol, tried various oven cleaners.

Tried sodium hydroxide paste. Tried drain cleaner gels.....

They should sell this paint to the military. I swear to god its probably nuke proof :roll:
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Tony, try Acetone - although in full strength it may attack the plastic. Maybe try using a diluted version (ie, "nail polish remover with acetone").

Frank
futch

Post by futch »

Ease-Off oven cleaner?
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Gunze's Mr. Paint Remover?

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

That vinyl paint is tough. Damned tough. The only thing I found that touches it it sandpaper. Simple Green might but I gave up after a week's soaking. Now I know it might take 2 or 3.
Abolish Alliteration
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

If the paint is vinyl based, the only thing that would strip it is MEK, which would turn the plastic into goo as you've found out.

Looks like you'll have to paint over it without stripping.

Ken
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

I'd give PollyS Easy-Lift Off a try if you haven't already. It made a bigger dent with the pre-painted Revell Jedi Starfighter than CSC. You're still doomed to a lot of toothbrush scrubbing.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

Since there is no 'quick and easy' on this one, here is a light~hearted play on words to cheer you up.....
just in case you ever get called on to take this paint off... :wink:

http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Illustrate ... 588&sr=8-1

Hmmmm, looks like there is a new Pirelli book.....
* Joyously Celebrating the Mysteries of Chocolate
*Artistically Whimsical