portable tank? for airbrushing?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jaekwong

portable tank? for airbrushing?

Post by jaekwong »

Was wondering

i have this air compressor
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/tls/584408004.html

was wondering, can i put the air into a portable air tank? and then bring that into the home and attach to my air brush? will i need a reguator connecting ot the tank?

Someone explain the air tank business to me. please

thanks
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Yes, you most certainly can fill a portable tank and use it for quiet airbrushing. As you've already determined, you'll need to add a small regulator to the output side of the tank's manifold. The most consideration has to be the size of the portable tank and how often you're willing to take the tank out for refilling. Depending on the size of the tank and how much pressure you put into it, you may find yourself running out to fill it quite often. That sucks, especially in wintertime.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I've got a 7 gallon tank from Wal-Mart that I paid $15 for. If I had to do it again, I'd buy two of them. One's great for a night of airbrushing, but a spare would work even longer. They are cheap enough. It worked really well.

I've now got an Iwata Smart Jet Pro though, so I haven't used it for a while.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Wug

Post by Wug »

I fill my air tanks with a small Interdynamics PowerAir compressor so I can airbrush in silence. You'll want a water trap on the compressor or water will collect in your tank. I have a nice Amflow regulator and quick-release connectors so I can switch tanks and hoses easily.

Mike
Lord Darth Beavis

Post by Lord Darth Beavis »

How far is it from where the compressor is to your workshop? If it isn't too far, buy an airhose, run it up through the attic, and drop it down inside the wall, where you can connect your regulator and moisture trap, and, more importantly, your airbrush!

Or, if you're really ambitious, do it with copper piping! Of course, having run it for water, I can tell you, it's a real pain in the reproductive apparatus!
"I have an ARMY!"

*shrugs* "We have a Hulk."
================================
America*: Land of the Free**

* - "America" is a registered trademark of U.S. Corporations.
** - No actual freedoms are inferred or implied.
Any resemblance to totalitarian regimes is strictly coincidental
unless those regimes are regulated by the Federal Government.

================================
'Russia Space Agency. My name Peggy. Have problem?'
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

If you use copper, make sure it's thick-walled, you don't want it to burst on you. Do not use PVC under any circumstance. A better choice would probably be aluminum, or this stuff. It's spendy, but also easy to work with.

Also make sure you have moisture traps that you can drain relatively easily, and slope the horizontal runs slightly so the water drains to the traps.

This page has some good ideas

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

I run a 10 gallon tank. I removed the hose it came with and attached a valve with a quick release connection. The valve is to replace the thumb valve/input port that came with the tank. A 2' hose with quick connector is attached to the tank. At the other end of the hose is a water trap/air filter followed by a regulator (2psi increments) and then the airbrush hose. I have a portable air compressor, which is always on when it is running, to fill the tank. Because it is winter, the compressor is in the basement instead of the garage, so I need to fill up the tank before the rest of the family heads off to bed.

My eventual plan is to buy a new compressor with at least a 20G tank and run stainless steel tubing from the garage to the spray booth. But of course that is the plan, need the cash....
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.