Airbrush and Thinner Questions

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jaekwong

Airbrush and Thinner Questions

Post by jaekwong »

1) I use tamiya paints. About to get my Aztek a4709 airbrush. Was wondering if Isopropyl is ok to use as a thinner when airbrushing? Or must i use proper thinner?

2) Does the type of compressor affect my airbrush? was planning to pick up a basic compressor at my local hardware store. Any h/p, psi, or anything that i should look out for specifically?

3) Is a regulator necessary and what does it do?

4) Does anyone live in Vancouver, British Columbia Canada, that can show me how to use an airbrush correctly!

Thanks,
Jessey
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

1) Meaning isopropyl is a non-proper thinner? I perfer to use Tamiya thinner but others have had good luck with various mixes.

2) Somewhat. Cheap compressors tend to pulse. Sometimes a long hose will help. An airtank can be the cheapest alternative.

3) A regulator reduces the airflow from the compressor limiting the maximum airflow. Yes, they help a lot. Get one with a build in moisture trap for even more handiness.
Abolish Alliteration
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

A regulator reduces the airflow from the compressor limiting the maximum airflow
I think it might have more to do with the pressure the air is delivered at. Airflow suggests the volume of air that passes. I know, Mr Pedantic. :wink:
There is no such word as "casted" or "recasted". The past tense of "cast" is still "cast". Only bisexually hermaphrodites add the "ed". - Churchill August 1942.

"Lose" = Mislay/Fail to win.
"Loose" = Slack/Not tight - John Lennon June 81
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Most acrylics can be thinned with isolpropyl, denatured alcohol or the cheapest - windshield wiper fluid.

You can also use denatured alcohol to clean the brush and remove acrylics, even after they've dried. Isopropyl alcohol will do the same, but denatured alcohol is much, much quicker.

You'll want a compressor with a tank and a regulator. the regulator does what it says - it keeps the air pressure at what you set it, rather than having it fluctuate as you use up air.
jaekwong

Post by jaekwong »

will something like this
CanadianTire

with a moisture trap and regulator work ok?
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

jaekwong wrote:will something like this
CanadianTire

with a moisture trap and regulator work ok?
Can't tell, because it's asking for a Canadian postal code to show the city. A water trap isn't a necessity for acrylics, but it does help, and it's vital for any other paint type.

Compressor noise is an issue, too.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

If the compressor has a tank, you don't really need a water trap. If it doesn't have a tank or regulator, you can get a combination unit. You should, though, be able to buy a compressor suitable for a brad nailer with all the above features. You'll just need a valve to shut the airflow off so you don't have to drain the tank every time you disconnect your airbrush.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati