Metal rigging

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

Metal rigging

Post by DeltaVee »

I've used a hot match head to tighten stretched sprue rigging. Does anyone know if that or anything else will straighten fine metal wire rigging? I was careless and now have some bends in some rigging that won't totally come out. Will anything straighten it again? Thanks.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

On the model? None that I know of. One of the reasons I like piano wire for such work. Very stiff stuff.
Abolish Alliteration
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Re: Metal rigging

Post by USS Atlantis »

mburkey wrote:I've used a hot match head to tighten stretched sprue rigging. Does anyone know if that or anything else will straighten fine metal wire rigging? I was careless and now have some bends in some rigging that won't totally come out. Will anything straighten it again? Thanks.
Only thing I can think of doing is use a needle-nose pliers and clamp the bends with that - it'll straighten them, but might leave an impression of the pliers depending on how soft the wire used is

Reason for the needle-nose? They usually have the smoothest jaw faces, regular pliers have deep cross-cuts for better grip

Atlantis
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks gents. Piano wire would be too large for a 1/1400 Raptor. This is really fine wire, and it works great as long as you take care to keep it straight as you install it. Really intended for 1/48 or 1/72 biplanes. If I ever get another chance, I'll probably use fine monofilament that seems to hold its shape better unless it's really crimped. I think the needle nose pliers will do fine. I wasn't expecting to win any contests anyway based on my work to date.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

What gauge are you working with?
Abolish Alliteration
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

I'll look when I get home. Fine as sewing thread. Possibly surgical. Bought it at the IPMS Nationals a few years ago. Foot-long lengths in a tube. Can't beat the realism.
NNYGamer

Post by NNYGamer »

For some fine wire work I've used invisible thread, it's like hair width fishing line but pretty strong. As far as I know it comes in clear and smoke color. The one drawback is you need to roughen up where you want glue to stick since it's so smooth.
I have no signature.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Music wire doesn't come any finer than 26g. May not be fine enough. I've got some 32g stainless steel that can be tensioned for straightness.

Also got some 44g that's damned near invisible.
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

you can get monofilament line in low (4lb test) diameter. You can also get monofilament sewing thread. I like the smoke color, and I've found the sewing thread has just a little bit of give, I'm hoping it helps survivability when traveling.

Oh, and you might want to tape up the jaws on that set of pliers to pad them a bit so you don't scratch the wire.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati