Standard Christmas Tree Lights

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

marcus0311

Standard Christmas Tree Lights

Post by marcus0311 »

My wife has taken an interest in my return to modeling. She has given me a whole string(about 50 lights) to use as needed. These are the standard bulbs about 5/8 long with the plastic fitting piece on one end that run off a wall plug in. My question is how hard would it be to use them to light a model? It would seem like a waste to just throw them away. I just started a Darth Vader Tie Fighter, and I'm thinking of trying to light it(at least just the と お思 &#( pit cause I really detailed it and would like to make it easily visible.
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Re: Standard Christmas Tree Lights

Post by USS Atlantis »

marcus0311 wrote:My wife has taken an interest in my return to modeling. She has given me a whole string(about 50 lights) to use as needed. These are the standard bulbs about 5/8 long with the plastic fitting piece on one end that run off a wall plug in. My question is how hard would it be to use them to light a model? It would seem like a waste to just throw them away. I just started a Darth Vader Tie Fighter, and I'm thinking of trying to light it(at least just the と お思 &#( pit cause I really detailed it and would like to make it easily visible.
Only problem I see with this is that those standard X-Mass tree lights are Incandescent - which generate a lot of heat

You might end up melting the styrene of the model if you use those

Atlantis
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
marcus0311

Post by marcus0311 »

Oh well. It seemed like it would be a good idea. I've already took apart several small LED devices and retrieved three good bulbs. I just need to work on the wiring,shrink connectors,etc.
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

Don't throw them away just yet. Those little light bulbs might make interesting greeblies.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
marcus0311

Post by marcus0311 »

I was going to throw them away, but decided to add them to my spares box along with the remains of an unassembled JU-88A4,empty styrene sprues,the thick clear plastic cover from a barbie doll box(donated by my 6 year old daughter),wires,and too much more to add. Yup I've become somewhat of a modeling pack rat.HEHEHE once again thanx for you help.