556 7556 question

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Balok

556 7556 question

Post by Balok »

I'm a bit puzzled by something. Where on the 556 and 7556 do pins 3 and 11
CONTROL VOLTAGE (1) and CONTROL VOLTAGE (2), respectively, go? The circuit works with them hanging in the breeze, but shouldn't they go high or low? Can't find a reference to what they are even for. Controlling voltage might be a good guess. What say you gurus?!
<i>
Always remember
we stand on the roof of Hell
gazing at flowers.
</i>
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Nate, those are the equivalent of the Control Voltage on the 555. Most people leave them open, but this can cause erratic operations if the pin picks up stray voltage from somewhere. Most datasheets show the pin bypassed to ground with a 0.01uF capacitor.

Frank
Balok

Post by Balok »

So they're what's called the BYPASS on the 555 then. That makes sense. OK Frank, thanks for that bit of knowledge.

Nate
<i>
Always remember
gazing at flowers.
</i>
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Balok wrote:So they're what's called the BYPASS on the 555 then. That makes sense. OK Frank, thanks for that bit of knowledge.

Nate
Really? I've always seen it described as the "control Voltage". Here's a good page describing the 555 in detail. I've used the CV input to modulate the output, but it's a generally useless pin for making LEDs flash.

It's probably safe to leave this pin disconnected in an astable circuit; the worst that'll happen is that you'll get one or more pulses that are not the correct width. In a monostable circuit, or when you need an accurate waveform, you really should bypass the pin to ground.

Frank
Balok

Post by Balok »

Yeah the CMOS cookbook calls it the bypass. Thanks Frank. I'm just flashing in the astable mode. Hopefully I can get enough current through each side to run 14 25mA LEDs. We'll see. I have my doubts.
<i>
Always remember
gazing at flowers.
</i>