Resin or other clear solid substance that dries from fluid?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

steelrose

Resin or other clear solid substance that dries from fluid?

Post by steelrose »

OT, but I need to fill the bottom of a clear, narrow flower vase partway with a solid substance for it to properly hold a gold-dipped rose for a certain lady. The rose is heavy and short stemmed, so I need to fill about 2"-2 1/2" of the bottom with something fairly heavy and either attractive or unnoticeable for the stem end to rest on and prevent tipping. I've tested a couple kinds of clear glue, but of course it doesn't want to cure in this quantity. Is clear resin the only option, and if so what's the best type and source? Other possibilities?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Coloured sand. In fact, you might be able to find a goldish one. That way it looks like the gold rose is growing out of gold soil.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Scott Hasty

Post by Scott Hasty »

I think this would do perfectly!

http://www.eti-usa.com/consum/envtex/envlite.htm

I get mine at Michaels. IIRC, I just bought a kit that'll make a half a quart of the stuff for just under $12. Bubbles really clear out fast, especially if you use a CO2 source around it....light breathing is perfect for this.

Scottie
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
quantumplasmathingie

Post by quantumplasmathingie »

This sounds like a job for liquid lucite or clear polyester resin

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=75&

Tap also stocks a clear liquid casting epoxy.

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=386&

Hope this helps!
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned clear wax. You may have seen it - candles with stuff embedded in them. It looks as clear as water, melts at a low temp, and should be easy enough (and less stinky/toxic!) to use.

You should check around at craft/hobby/art places and see if you can get it. I know I've seen it online. Try Googling "clear wax" or "clear casting wax" - just make sure you add "candle", to eliminate a bazillion car wax hits.

Addendum - there are two types - candle gel, and a clear mineral oil and resin based wax.

A while back, somebody was looking to do a Voyager embedded in ice diorama, and this stuff came up.

Kev
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Good suggestion on the wax.. I have seen Envirotex light have issues when too thick.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
steelrose

Post by steelrose »

Thanks, guys, I'll give a couple of these a shot.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."