1/12 EVA Pod Door motor/mechanism!

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Fluke

1/12 EVA Pod Door motor/mechanism!

Post by Fluke »

This just might do the trick!

Using a worm gear system from any cheap portable CD player.

After removing the 'disc' drive motor and the unnecessary plastic the unit will fit perfectly inside the 'ear muff' of the Pod and even now almost fits flush. This example below has not yet ben modified.

Then a firm yet flexable ribbon of some sorts will be attatched to the worm gear bolt and then to the door.

The unit runs at a perfect, quite, smooth speed at 1.5V.....though a relay sytem and two mini micro switches will need to be applied....this set up already has a very small mini micro switch.
http://www.freewebs.com/flukesmodelpage ... fMotor.jpg
How do you know if I'm not a Cylon and I havn't seen you at any of the meetings?
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Is there an online source for those? I'd like one for a project I'm going to do sometime.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Fluke

Post by Fluke »

Not really.....just go to any used goods store or what ever...pick up a few old crummy portable CD players at 1.00 or so a piece..... I bet that the motors are fine. Thats what this thing is....just the guts from a old protable CD player.

Very cheap and runs at 1.5v!

This would be PERFECT for the 1/69th scale resin Nautilus 'IRIS' windows! :wink:

Hope this helps!
How do you know if I'm not a Cylon and I havn't seen you at any of the meetings?
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Thanks! :D
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

not sure if there are changes to the forum but please post pics off site using a link, in line eats bandwidth.

BTW That looks great do you have some step by steps of what circuits you removed, the disc spinner I assume. Cant' tell you how many of these I've already torn down.
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
Balok

Post by Balok »

Cool idea. The door may be more likely to stick closing than opening. I'm gonna fiddle with that too. Thanks for the idea.
<i>
Always remember
we stand on the roof of Hell
gazing at flowers.
</i>