Aves Apoxie Scuplt - What's the trick??

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Treadhead

Post by Treadhead »

How cold is it where you are now? I'm wondering whether or not extreme cold temperatures inhibit curing.
“Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?”

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
Bar

Re: Apoxie Sculpt

Post by Bar »

rpauly wrote:I tend to use the paste as an adhesive - it works very well. It's a tad too goopy for use as a filler IMHO. Apoxie Sculpt is what I use for filler and adding detail. It is much firmer and easier to sculpt.
I like to use the paste as an aid to getting the upper surface of a scratchbuild uniform(Especially when mating two disparate surfaces together). It tends to equalise over a surface better than normal apoxie sculpt, and needs less sanding.

But back to the problem. It really needs to be mixed as well as can be. I use tight fitting rubber gloves to protect my hands, and keep going at it the same way i'd knead sculpey(At least ten minutes of mixing). After that, it will definitely cure properly.
I have had this same problem before with the stuff. It was on the master for the 302 jet engines, but i eventually got through the "improperly mixed" layer, and it was fine after that. It taught me a valuable lesson...
Bar.
I must retire to my couch of perpetual indulgence...
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
vipermark7@googlemail.com
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

What Bar said... mix for at least two minutes, but more would not hurt.

Also use plain ol rubbing alcohol to smooth and shape the stuff...you can use water, but i find alcohol makes it less sticky.
"The" Bluesman formerly known as The Bluesman
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Or smooth while wearing cheap disposable gloves. I was stunned at how smooth you can get it.
Abolish Alliteration
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

I find the stuff very difficult to work with when I need to 're-sculpt' limbs and clothing in re-posed figures. It's just too sticky even after cutting it with talc.

For me Aves is best for filling seams since it doesn't shrink like the Squadron Green putties do.

If you want to try a different 2 part epoxy putty I've found that Magic-Sculpt is better for both seam filling and sculpting. I highly recommend Magic Sculpt.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

When I need to scuplt it I'll let it sit, after mixing, for an hour or 2. Then talc and play.
Abolish Alliteration
Bar

Post by Bar »

I meant to mention that too.
I have found the batch i have(Possibly every batch, but i can only speak for mine), takes an overnight session to fully cure, and sometimes longer depending on the conditions of the area it's left in.
So for sculpting purposes, let it sit, but keep the an eye on the time...
Bar.
I must retire to my couch of perpetual indulgence...
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
vipermark7@googlemail.com
SMuser

Post by SMuser »

I use a digital gram scale to measure my apoxie parts. I can mix large or small accurately. It is such a useful tool to have.

I tested my ability to "eyeball" and while I estimated carefully, I was usually WAY off, by like 80% or more, which surprised me to be sure.

If I didn't have my digital scale, I would rig up a balance beam from PVC and fishing line or something. That would be close enough
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Wait...is it mixing 1:1 by volume, or weight?

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

ya know, i never thought about that. i always assumed volume and tried to get the blobs to be the same size... never worried bout the weight.

course, i've also never used the paste, and doing things the way i have for the sculpt works wonderfully.
I don't make the rules. I just poke holes in them for my own benefit. - Arklan Uth Oslin

You know it's been a long day when you start singing parodies of Ricard Wagner operas. Kill the Red team, kill the Red Team... - Arklan Uth Oslin
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Volume - and I think we're getting the paste and sculpt products mixed up. I've never had trouble with the Apoxie Sculpt, and I just guesstimate the ratio.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

i think your right ter...

come to think of it, i bought one of the sample packs of aves ... about a year and a half ago... i dontthink i've ever even OPENED the paste. i should probably do that sometime.

EDIT: *opens up paste, mixes... makes horrid mess...* ...on second thought... *pitches it to the trash* i'll stick with the sculpt.
I don't make the rules. I just poke holes in them for my own benefit. - Arklan Uth Oslin

You know it's been a long day when you start singing parodies of Ricard Wagner operas. Kill the Red team, kill the Red Team... - Arklan Uth Oslin
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

You can thin the sculpt down pretty far with alcohol or their thinner.
It won't be as strong, but you can get a smooth finish.

Terry Miesle
Marco Scheloske

Post by Marco Scheloske »

Arklan wrote:i think your right ter...

come to think of it, i bought one of the sample packs of aves ... about a year and a half ago... i dontthink i've ever even OPENED the paste. i should probably do that sometime.

EDIT: *opens up paste, mixes... makes horrid mess...* ...on second thought... *pitches it to the trash* i'll stick with the sculpt.
I LOVE the paste! Really. It works great for me, the kind of thin putty I always looked for.
Greetings from Germany -
"In glue we trust!" - http://technomaniaweb.jimdo.com

Marco
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

Hey Marko - how about a write-up and pictures for the site? I'd like to figure out how to use it better, I'm sure it must have some use - but until I see and read better experience, I'll continue to do what I know.

Terry Miesle
Marco Scheloske

Post by Marco Scheloske »

TER-OR wrote:Hey Marko - how about a write-up and pictures for the site? I'd like to figure out how to use it better, I'm sure it must have some use - but until I see and read better experience, I'll continue to do what I know.
Good idea. I have currently a little project on my bench I`ll use some of the paste for (a small "2001" astronaut), I can easily make some pics and a short description.
Greetings from Germany -
"In glue we trust!" - http://technomaniaweb.jimdo.com

Marco
onezero
Site Admin
Location: In my living room watching - but I am not laughing.

Post by onezero »

To answer the original question:

The most common reason for the Aves not setting up rock hard is the proportions of A:B are off. In my experience, they gotta be waaaay off, especially if you are using a big bunch. I have also had issues if I only use very small amounts --- like trying to mix up something the size of a pea. I've not had the stuff go bad, even with a tub that took 3 years to empty. The B part tends to get stiff and hard to work over time - I'll take a glob of that out and knead it well first, then mix with the gray stuff.

If it's clogging to the point you can't get it out of the paper, it hasn't fully cured. Even rock hard, I've found it will clob more than solvent putties (like Bondo or Squadron) but wet sanding, and frequent rinsing of the paper, makes that manageable.

The trick, as Pat said earlier, is to work it/smooth it as much as possible beforehand and thus minimize the sanding needed.
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

A hyphenated word and a non-hyphenated word walk into a bar and the bartender nearly chokes on the irony.