Basing/Mounting question -- what looks best?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Garrand

Basing/Mounting question -- what looks best?

Post by Garrand »

I used the search function but didn't get any hints.

I have a small collection of 1/2500 scale ST models. I'm thinking about basing them on small wooden plaques (round, perhaps 1.5in to 2in if I can find them). My question isn't one of mechanics or technique (I've been building models for 20 years...just not much in SF)...but rather aesthetics. When mounting, what sort of rod should I use? I would like something that's easy to work with, but fairly durable. Also something I don't need to maintain (brass rod may look good, but I can't imagine Brasso would have a good effect on my paint jobs...). I may use these in tabletop gaming, so indeed something durable is definitely desirable (the more the better). Any suggestions? Thanks!

Damon.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I'm rather fond of acrylic rod for mounting. Plastruct sells several sizes, it's easy to cut, and you can drill a small hole in it to accept a pin which is glued in the ship for security and removability if you travel and game with them.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Scanam2006

Post by Scanam2006 »

I use stainless steel or piano wire to mount my models. the stainless steel will support a higher weight than brass rod and does not need polishing