repetative filling

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

repetative filling

Post by Digger1 »

How many times would it be safe for one to putty a seam or gap on any given vacuform model? The puttying successfully filled the gaps but there's small imperfections in the putty itself and I'm concerned that over puttying will cause the already thin styrene to become gummy.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

What kinda of putty? Dear gawd don't say you're using Squadron.

It's usally best to back up the edges of vac kits with more styrene or use Mr. Badwrench's patented micro fibreglass system.
Abolish Alliteration
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

kylwell wrote:What kinda of putty? Dear gawd don't say you're using Squadron.
No squadron...never again. Or Testors' for that matter.

Bondo!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Keep it thin and let it fully cure inbetween and you should be fine.

Mr. Badwrenches patented micro fibreglass is just medical guaze and CA. He great for renforcing seam from teh inside.
Abolish Alliteration
Wug

Post by Wug »

Hi,

Can you get to the inside of the model and back the seam with epoxy?

Mike
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Wug wrote:Hi,

Can you get to the inside of the model and back the seam with epoxy?

Mike
Nope. It's sealed.

Even though I've filled twice, there's still a slight dent or curvature in the seam where the putty is. I guess it's attributed to shrink of the putty or something.

I'm thinking about applying a strip of styrene to the edge just to make the edge straight and flawless but there's a part that's applied to that edge and might make for a poor fit later.

Should I continue puttying?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

1) I'd let it sit and cure for a few days. 2) Is it possible that you're sanding the curve flat? It's easy to do unless youre using a Flexifile (which makes it stil possible but harder to do).
Abolish Alliteration
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

That's what I want it to do. Make the curvature in the putty flat and flush with the surrounding styrene.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Try using Aves or Magic Sculpt and smoothing it with a flat brush and alcohol. You may find that you can come very close to thte desired shape and when it is cured you'll havev very little sanding and no shrinkage.

Cheers,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
mech

Post by mech »

^^^what he said. Werkt fer me that last time I did it.
Usually though, with standard putty, I just let each layer cure for a couple days between sandings.

j
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Mark Yungblut wrote:Try using Aves or Magic Sculpt and smoothing it with a flat brush and alcohol. You may find that you can come very close to thte desired shape and when it is cured you'll havev very little sanding and no shrinkage.

Cheers,

Mark
actually, you reminded me that I have some Milliput. I just used some. Damn, it's hard on the fingers kneading it together! I dipped it in some water periodically to loosen it up and applied it to the seam. In three hours, I'll let you know how it turned out.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

At some point loose the Milliput as it is crap. Aves and Magic Sculpt are much finer grained as well as being tolerant of inprecise 50 50 blending.

Milliput was good when it came out years ago. The new formula putties are far superior to Milliput.

Just my 2 cents,

Mark
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

- Dilbert
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

I have been meaning to pick up some Aves at some point in the near future. But alas, which to get? The paste or the sculp? I'll be using it primarially for filling seams and polishing out imperfections.

I did try to get the good stuff at the hobby store. It's superfine white.
Go Flight

Post by Go Flight »

Babaganoosh wrote:I have been meaning to pick up some Aves at some point in the near future. But alas, which to get? The paste or the sculp? I'll be using it primarially for filling seams and polishing out imperfections.

I did try to get the good stuff at the hobby store. It's superfine white.
I'd pick up the Apoxie Sculpt. It's a 1:1 mix and kneads easily. Plus it smoothes out with just water and a flat paint brush, and dries like a rock.
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

i've had a sample of the aves paste for over a year now... havent used it yet, as the sculpt variety seems to fill my needs perfectly well. it can be pressed pretty thin, smoothed out with just water, and is non toxic. this stuff is great.
I don't make the rules. I just poke holes in them for my own benefit. - Arklan Uth Oslin

You know it's been a long day when you start singing parodies of Ricard Wagner operas. Kill the Red team, kill the Red Team... - Arklan Uth Oslin
mech

Post by mech »

Ditto on the aves sculpt. Great stuff.

j
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Okay, no more Milliput unless it's for internal bracing. Doesn't make for a good filler. Someone prove me wrong, please. T'would be a shame for it to go to waste.

I just had to carve it off the model because it's hard to sand evenly and smooth. Maybe I didn't knead it enough or something because it was still a little gummy nearly 26 hours after I applied it.

So, Aves then?
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Two factors figure in with Milliput age and mixing ratio. It is very unforgiving if not mixed almost exactly 50/50. Also if it is over a year old it could be going bad which will effect it's ability to cure completely.

Later,

Mark
- Benjamin Franklin

- Dogbert

- Dilbert
Treadhead

Post by Treadhead »

I always get 'putty-pits' when using filler. The best solution that I found was to let the putty fully cure and go over it with Mr. Surfacer 500. If you need more than one coat, let each one cure before using the next.

After that, give it one coat of Mr. Surfacer 1000. That shoud do the trick.

As for Milliput, I found the extra fine grade very useful -- but it's pricey.

A Putty-Pit Eradicating
Treadhead
“Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?”

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen