Foam filler

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Less Than Super Ostrich

Foam filler

Post by Less Than Super Ostrich »

Have any of you filled up a resin kit with Great Stuff foam in order to give a piece more internal strength? If not, Great Stuff, what have you used? I have a hollow piece that is quite flimsy, and I'm considiring using Great Stuff. Am I mad? Wait... don't answer that.
On the sixth day, God created man... primarily out of Aves Apoxie Sculpt and other greeblies found around his hobby room.
Matt2893

Post by Matt2893 »

I believe (from memory of a similar discussion here, and reading the can not long ago while working on my house) you have to be careful of:

1) Over Expansion. The foam continues to expand for a while after the initial application. You wouldn't want to 'blow out' the sides of your model.

2) Heat. The foam generates heat as it cures. You don't want to melt or warp your model.

That being said, this is just theoretical, has anyone here actually used it?
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

If you're going to use it, use the Great Stuff for windows/doors, minimal expansion. DAP also makes one that is non-toxic and min. exp. Not everyone carries it though.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Typically I use Epoxy putty rolled into a sheet, and inserted into said part. Then with tools make sure it adheres to the piece. Same with very thin vacuformed pieces. Back them with epoxy.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

When I was building the two Minbari Cruiser vac kits I built, I filled them with the foam from Home Depot (I guess it was Great Stuff, red can, yellow lettering).

ANYWAY, yes, it will over expand if too much is put in, but there's a way to stop this problem. The foam sets by absorbing water from air. To stop the foam in it's tracks, do the following; spritz in some foam into the model in one stream, then spritz it with a spraybottle full of water, repeat until full. Works like a charm!

Erin
<*>
How about a nice cup of STFU?
http://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models
Less Than Super Ostrich

Post by Less Than Super Ostrich »

THanks guys. The TER-OR fix makes more sense to me. Get that Apoxie Sculpt love going again.
On the sixth day, God created man... primarily out of Aves Apoxie Sculpt and other greeblies found around his hobby room.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I've filled nosecones and such with Great Stuff...the only problem I've had is sometimes it doesn't cure if it can't get air...

I've started using a two-part foaming epoxy. Last time I got some, I purchased it from www.publicmissiles.com , but I've seen it elsewhere too.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin