Paint Brushes

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Darkov

Paint Brushes

Post by Darkov »

What brand Paint Brushes are best to use? I know you get what you pay for. It just seems like even if I spend $7.00 per brush I don't get the results I'm looking for and they still wear out fast. I clean them after each use and don't let paint dry on them.
Just thought I would see what everyone else thought.
Oh, I paint with Acrylic paint mostly(Testors and Tamiya)

Pete :smoke:
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

In my opinion, this is kind alike asking what car to drive. I've got some pricey brushes in my collection and a whole buncha cheaper ones. To me, brand doesn't matter, shape and fit do. Buy a cheap set and experiment. Find out what shapes you like (I'm biased to liner & cats tongue brushes) then start wandering the brush isle and fondling handles. Pay attention to how the hairs lay in ferule, flex them a bit and see if hairs go astray. Pricey brushes will last longer and to some extent will put up with more abuse, but if they aren't the right shape or the handle is uncomfortable they aren't worth the cash.
Abolish Alliteration
TREKKRIFFIC

Re: Paint Brushes

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

Darkov wrote:What brand Paint Brushes are best to use? I know you get what you pay for. It just seems like even if I spend $7.00 per brush I don't get the results I'm looking for and they still wear out fast. I clean them after each use and don't let paint dry on them.
Just thought I would see what everyone else thought.
Oh, I paint with Acrylic paint mostly(Testors and Tamiya)

Pete :smoke:
I love the synthetic brushes myself. They really hold up well and will keep a point. Just make sure to twist the bristles into a point again after cleaning and be sure to keep the tip in the plastic protective sleeve when not in use.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

You can try brushes at most art stores--they have cups of water and some paper...

But, like kylwell said, it's more important to me to have a brush that feels right vs. a particular brand/style...I've got brushes all over the map.

Also, those brushes with just a few hairs (like 10/0, 15/0, etc), they just wear out over time...they just suck paint up into the ferrule, and once that happens, they are on their way out. I just realize I have to buy a new one every year or so. I just look for the 40% coupons and get 'em at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin