Bondo Resin

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Trek 1701

Bondo Resin

Post by Trek 1701 »

I want to build, scratchbuild, and make pieces out of resin. I don't want to spend lots of money on the expensive stuff. Will Bondo 2-part resin, that I see at Wal-mart, work for these projects? Any problems with it?
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

One word.....shrinkage.

If you make a massive part..the stuff gets real hot...and the more mass you have, the more it shrinks.

Don't let me stop you from using it though...it's a great modeling material.

Just build up to your shape slowly in thin layers and it should work fine.

Modelnutz 8)
Trek 1701

Post by Trek 1701 »

How massive of a piece? I mainly want to replicate parts of AMT/Ertl models.
Darkov

Post by Darkov »

I had similar thoughts of using Bondo Fiberglass resin. I bought a pint of it and used it to cast a few parts.....they came out sticky.....not sure if I mixed the stuff right. Also It shrank ALOT. Smelled awful. And once it had cured for a few days the stuff is VERY brittle. I may use it for very small parts that have simple shapes..but I'll just have to suck it up and pay the higher prices for the real deal.

Pete
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Trek...if the parts are thin, it should work OK....Bondo's kinda' brittle though. You may end up with a fragile pc. Give it a try though..I don't want to stop the joy of experimental learning ! :)

Darkov...If I understand you correctly....you used automotive fiberglass resin without the fiberglass ? Yes ?
That type of resin really needs the addition of wax to make a dry sandable plastic....next time you might try a finishing resin called gel coat in the industry.....it still shrinks though. And stinks (and will eventually kill you :x )

Why don't you guys get in touch with Smooth-on and get a trial kit of some resin....small parts..I'd recommend SC-300
It's a fast kick resin that sets up hard in the mold. A slower resin would be SC-320
They also have trial kits of silicone.
Not too tough to use if you remember to stir the silicone slowly ( You don't want to trap too much air ) and pour over your part in a very thin stream.

In my experiance..that's the way to go.

I have a couple of more cents worth......but that's for later :D

Modelnutz 8)
"the name sez it all"