electric shock

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Kenny

electric shock

Post by Kenny »

I'm about to use a mains power source for the first time. What sort of injury can be caused by contact with the wires of a 9v 200mA power supply?
That day, Vader was amazed to discover that when
fett was saying "As you wish", what he meant was, "I love you."
And even more amazing was the day he realized he truly loved him back.

Kenton
tetsujin

Post by tetsujin »

I assume you're talking about a wall-powered AC->DC wall wart (so the output is 9V DC, 200mA maximum current...)

Really, there's not much potential for injury from the output of that thing. If you touched it to your tongue you'd get a nasty taste in your mouth, that's about it. The input (the wall voltage) is another story. That can give unpleasant shocks, of course. Under the right conditions wall voltage can kill you.

You can be killed by a very small electrical current under the right conditions, but usually "the right conditions" involve a voltage large enough to create that kind of current through your body - particularly any current that would pass through your chest. So the 9V DC source itself may not pose a threat, but things you power from it may. Let's say you wanted to power an EL strip - those require high-voltage, low-current sources - a lot of the time people will run an inverter and transformer from a DC source in order to get that voltage. That holds more potential for danger than the straight DC source.
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
Slide

Post by Slide »

what he said... you'll likely have no problems with safety (just don't do anything rash)
"When you leave my academy you will be weapons! focused! and full of Purpose! Hot-rod rocket-jocks of prescision and strength, tear-@$$ing across the cosmos hunting for heaven!" -- Sgt. Maj. Frank Bougus [R. Lee Ermey, S:AAB]
jocuri cu nave
GYSGT Hartman

Post by GYSGT Hartman »

A couple little safety rules...if you are working with exposed live wiring and/or components.

1. Remove all jewelry before working with live circuits.

2. Try to work one-handed as much as possible, keeping the unused hand behind your back if necessary, so as to reduce chances of having live current pass thru your heart if you should recieve a shock.

You should be just fine. Simply treat EVERYTHING as live.

The very best thing is to simply never do any work on anything live. Shut down or remove the power source first. DO NOT touch any capacitor's leads. They can retain a healthy charge for quite some time after power is removed.