Aztec Airbrushes

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Thomas E. Johnson

Aztec Airbrushes

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

I use an Aztec 7778 airbrush, and always use acyrilic paints. I use the 2 nozzels that are designed for use with acryilics, but I also have all of the other nozzels also. Has anyone here with the same set up used acryilics thru the other nozzels in the system, like the spatter, and fine line nozzles?
Thomas E. Johnson
Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

I used an Aztec 7778 for about 2 years until last week when i bought an Iwata Eclipse.
When i started using it, like you, i used the Acetal (plastic)needle tips for shooting acrylics, since they were suppose to be designed for that, but found that they were utterly crap.
So since then, i have exclusively used all the other tips with metal needle without any problems and in fact, found that they are working much better.
Just make sure your paint is thinned properly and that you clean your airbrush thoroughly after work (i used Windex).

Hope this help.
ralphee

Post by ralphee »

I too use an Aztek, and the acrylic tips suck, use the grey and tan tips they seem to work best and shoot with little fuss, iam moving onto a better brush now mind, i quite fancy an iwata, the aztek is ok but now and then it tends to well paint up in the tip and spit a bit, my paint mixes are ok and the internals are always spotless, i even got new tips but it still happens every so often. There great brushes, just not as refined as id like!
Thomas E. Johnson

I've been using Aztec airbrushes for nearly 8 years now, and have never had the problems with the white and black acyrilic nozzels like are reported above, except when I've used it for over a year and have worn the nozzel out. I've always gotton great results.
Thomas E. Johnson
Bar

Post by Bar »

It'll be no help to you at all, but i usually use a random tip and i have never had any problems...
As mentioned before, if the paint is thinned properly, you be alreet.
Bar.
I must retire to my couch of perpetual indulgence...
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
vipermark7@googlemail.com
Styrofoam_Guy

Post by Styrofoam_Guy »

I have tried all the tips and have not noticed much difference. I also didn;t like the acrylic tip.

I just use the general tip (purple?)

For large areas I use my Pasche H

Alex
Styrofoam Guy
Thomas E. Johnson

The yellow, orange, and red nozzles are not ment for acyrilic paint. They are ment for fabric paints, and ceramic glazes, and other paints of similier pigment size. The only diffrence between the white and black acyrilic nozzels, and the blue, grey, and tan nozzels is the shallower tip ant the needle point. I think that is so you can more easily clean paint build up from the tips, since acyrilic paints tend to dry pretty fast and create a build up. And I also think that by acyrilic paint, they mean Delta Creamcoats, Apple Barrel, ect. The acyrilic paints that are made for model painting like Tamyia and MM Acryl are formulated to be the same pigment size and thickness as enamels, and I've sprayed them thu the blue, grey, and tan nozzels with out any trouble.
Thomas E. Johnson
gad

Post by gad »

Thanks for the previous message, I was wondering about that today as I was airbrushing! I have used the splatter nozzel with acrylic paints with no problems and with great results!!!