Rebellion logo on base

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Captain Mark

Rebellion logo on base

Post by Captain Mark »

Hi guys,

I've seen a number of great models on these forums which also have good quality bases with a logo on it. These bases obviously don't come with the kits.

My question is, how do you get these crisp looking logos on the base? The base is easy for me. But I'm really not sure how to tackle the logo side of things.

Should I buy decals from somewhere, regular stickers? I'm not sure how to make a stencil to paint, or if that's even feasible, and I'd prefer to stear away from hand painting something.

Any advice on how to make a good quality SW Rebellion logo for my Y-Wing kits base would be much appreciated.

Cheers all,
Mark
lestatdelc

Re: Rebellion logo on base

Post by lestatdelc »

Captain Mark wrote:Any advice on how to make a good quality SW Rebellion logo for my Y-Wing kits base would be much appreciated.
Laser printer and/or inkjet printer decal media might be a nice solution. You can create custom logo artwork, print it out then apply it to a white gloss-coat painted shape on the base then seal with a clear acrlyic coat (Future, etc.).
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

And if you have Photoshop or Printshop, you can use the logos database there

Make a search for "rebel alliance"
But you will need something that can open ".eps" files.
LindaSmile
Site Admin

Post by LindaSmile »

We sell an awful lot of resin bases from "The Model Base". Here's the Star Wars Rebel Alliance base. You can see a sample of an unpainted base to give you an idea of the concept.

And most of the people who buy one base come back for more. They really like them. They're heavy, sturdy and easy to work with.

Maybe that's what you've been seeing in some of the gallery entries. I recognized quite a few of them.

Hope that helps,

Linda
Is this plastic thingy on the counter a model part or can I throw it away?
Captain Mark

Post by Captain Mark »

Thanks for the replies guys!

Looks like one of those resin bases could be the go.
Tell me LS, is the logo sunk into the resin? I'm just wondering about the technical aspect of getting it painted. Masking looks like it would be a nightmare on those curves.

Cheers!
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

It's raised off the surface.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
rocketrider

Post by rocketrider »

how big/small does the logo have to be. I might be able to cut one on my vinyl cutter.

I think the smallest I can go would be 1/2 inch. ill hvae to give it a try to find out. I never cut anything that small before

Glen