titanium blanks

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

titanium blanks

Post by Digger1 »

modeling related - I can't tell you how just yet but I need to get hold of just a few ( less than a dozen) titanium blanks or similar metal like aluminum or steel. Maybe about 4 to 7" in diameter and about 1/4 inch thick. Grade doesn't matter, just something shiny and smooth.

Anyone care to guess?
Jagdson
Location: Hunched over my keyboard like a *pothoc* vulture, cursing my inability to properly budget my time.

Post by Jagdson »

Titanium handle blanks are available for the assemble-a-knife crowd. Try following the production links back to the source.
Science created airplanes and skyscrapers, but it took faith to bring them together.

Trust me. I'm a priest.
macfrank

Re: titanium blanks

Post by macfrank »

Babaganoosh wrote:modeling related - I can't tell you how just yet but I need to get hold of just a few ( less than a dozen) titanium blanks or similar metal like aluminum or steel. Maybe about 4 to 7" in diameter and about 1/4 inch thick. Grade doesn't matter, just something shiny and smooth.

Anyone care to guess?
McMaster-Carr has Titanium... but why? It's not a particularly "shiny" metal and any contact with chrome will poison the surface. Unless you're building a body part for implantation, stick to a cheaper, easier to use metal.

Amunimum is dirt cheap and can be made shiny. Plus it's easy to machine.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Go to a compooter store or techno-junkyard and pull apart an old old hard drive. I have some nice shiney platters from an oldie that are 5" diameter. And that makes DARN sure no one's gonna read MY old data off it! :twisted:
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Like this?

You're probably better with aluminum
Abolish Alliteration
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Remember also that titanium is harder than the hubs of hell. It will be cruel to whatever you try to cut it with.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

THANKS Kylwell! AT LAST! I can order the titanium for my killer chopsticks! :twisted:

No, really. I've been wanting to make a set of 'permanent' chopsticks for years since I eat at Chinese Buffets so often (at least twice a week). Now this place has 1/4 inch titanium at a reasonable price.

Woo HOO!

:D :D :o :D :twisted: :D :D :roll: :D
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Glad to help. Even better, Ti is foodsafe.
Abolish Alliteration
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

And even better, you can use it to feed you Zarathustran Fuzzies to give them the needed minerals they crave!

Kev
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

So Bab, what the snot do you need them for? And are you talking knife blanks, sword blanks, folders, scales (knife handle sides), plate, rounds, what?
Abolish Alliteration
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Ess tee fee! Ess tee fee!

(drat...my secret is out...)
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

En'til Zog wrote:Ess tee fee! Ess tee fee!

(drat...my secret is out...)
The thought that you're a Fuzzy (well, you are furry and friendly) make me chuckle. I'll try to bring some land prawns to next WF.
Abolish Alliteration
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

En'til Zog wrote:THANKS Kylwell! AT LAST! I can order the titanium for my killer chopsticks! :twisted:

No, really. I've been wanting to make a set of 'permanent' chopsticks for years since I eat at Chinese Buffets so often (at least twice a week). Now this place has 1/4 inch titanium at a reasonable price.

Woo HOO!

:D :D :o :D :twisted: :D :D :roll: :D
Where do you see chopsticks? I can't find 'em.

and as for my idea, it's been ixnayed. I wanted to make a really pretty tanker style starship.

Now, how do I get my hands on some of that liquid metal they had on Modern Marvels the other night?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Why not do a very clean build from styrene or such and use Alclad Titanium paint?

casting metal can be done at home but....
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

it was gonna be in the same category as the mini Enterprise in lucite. Like a corporate display piece sans lucite.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Baba - They have 1/4 “ Ti rod - something like 3’ for $30.00 US which makes two sets of chopsticks. One for week days, one for Best. With a little machining for the taper and roughening so it’ll hold water chestnuts & ice.

Kylwell - Bring prawns! Bring prawns! But my prawn chopper might not make it through Airport Security.

Wait.... Titanium is NON MAGNETIC! Woo Hoo! :twisted: :twisted: :cry: :twisted: :roll: :twisted:
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Baba! Here's a thought. I was at Wally World and found some of those CD/DVD protector sleeves, caps, snoods, whatevers. This brand came in a nifty little 6" dia. metal can with embossed textures in the top & bottom and nice edge detail. The package is 5 snoods for a 5 spot, which is way cheaper than titanium, and easier to find than round Fe or Al blanks. AND you get to protect your most valuable DVDs or CD!

You might have to remove the printing on the metal with some solvent though, or paint over it with chrome spray which would sort of defeat the porpoise.

HTH
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

En'til Zog wrote:Baba - They have 1/4 “ Ti rod - something like 3’ for $30.00 US which makes two sets of chopsticks. One for week days, one for Best. With a little machining for the taper and roughening so it’ll hold water chestnuts & ice.

Kylwell - Bring prawns! Bring prawns! But my prawn chopper might not make it through Airport Security.

Wait.... Titanium is NON MAGNETIC! Woo Hoo! :twisted: :twisted: :cry: :twisted: :roll: :twisted:
One ordah Giant Grow inna Dahk Green Prawns-you want brown sauce
or sweet an' sour?

(Titanium chopsticks...and they call me mad :!: )
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

So do you think the hotel would get irritated at us if we set up a grill down by the pool?
Abolish Alliteration
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

kylwell, that might depend on how many of us walk softly and carry choppa-diggas.

And, yes, Doctor Yo, you are mad.

That's not a bad thing!

Here.... :twisted:
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

And, yes, Doctor Yo, you are mad.
Said the Appaling One

as The Immortal Dr. Clayton Forrester said

THAAANK-YOU!!!
Maybe you could get away with a hibachi in the parking lot?
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

I did that once.

But they caught me and made me bring it back. :cry:
Woody

Post by Woody »

Not titanium but how about stainless steel.
http://www.garrettwade.com/shopping/pro ... tID=107021
" I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail
fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." --John Paul Jones
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Thanks Woody! I ordered the 'master set' of many many in different sizes.

I usually carry a few pairs of standard wood chopsticks in my jacket or coat. I've annoyed... er... amazed the other Three Lakes Lions by eating with them when appropriate. Including the ice cream. Some of them didn't seem to appreciate the gesture, so I dropped them and joind the Badgerland Customs & Clasics car club. Much more fun!

But I think I'll order up some titanium anyway. :D
Woody

Post by Woody »

I'm glad to be of some small use. :D
" I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail
fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." --John Paul Jones