Got A Blown Processor In Head: #*$&# White Decaling?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Augustus

Got A Blown Processor In Head: #*$&# White Decaling?

Post by Augustus »

Okay, I must have blown a processor here and I cannot remember how you do white decals on dark models.

Situation: Have a black model car. Need white flames.

Parts I currently have: White Decal Paper, Clear Decal Paper, Printer.

The Question: The flame design I would like to have is a complicated series of intertwining tongues of flame. I could print out on the white decal paper, then Xacto the bits I don't want. But, that would mean a lot of very small cutting. So..is there a method to get the same effect but using Clear decal paper that will give me the effect without the cutting?
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

The only home/office type printers I know of that will print white are the Alps series printers which, to my knowledge, are no longer in production and kinda hard to find. My guess, the alternative would have to be to take the file to a print shop and see what they can do. or contact one of the guys here on the boards who has an Alps. I don't. Sorry. Wish I did sometimes.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
Augustus

Post by Augustus »

Thanks for pondering it anyhow. :D

Hmm. Okay, switching to Plan B.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Get one of the tiny swiveling "sign cutting" X-acto blades and be prepared to screw up.
The good thing is you can do it in segments, as you will put decals over the whit which should obscure any visible slicing.

You're committed to making this look good, might as well do it right. The white ink used in ALPS isn't all that opaque anyway, so it wouldn't be bright white.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Augustus

Post by Augustus »

Okay, I'll check it out.
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

Your best bet, IMO, would be to paint the body white than mask of the flames and apply the darker colours.

Pin-striping will need to be done by hand though. There areone or two online guides for doing flamejobs but I can't seem to find them right now.

Alternatively you could order "Scale Auto" from October 2003(methinks).

Will update this post with links when I find them.
Augustus

Post by Augustus »

Also true. I was having issues with masking (trying to use masking tape). However, I have since discovered 3M blue masking tape seems to work far better and does not seem to injure the initial layer.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Good gloss coat is your freind when masking.
the blue tape is good, Tamiya tape is better. Expensive but worth it.

Reduce the tack a little if you need, by sticking the tape to your skin and peeling it off (clean hands). Light coats of paint will help prevent any bleed-under.

Masking and painting the black is your best bet - you'll get the most vibrant color if you have white under your art.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Falcon5768

Post by Falcon5768 »

if your willing to spend the money there was just a ton of Alps printers on ebay most in perfect working condition and some WITH the white ribbons included along with metal ones