CA and RTV

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Tesral

CA and RTV

Post by Tesral »

Does there exist a substance I can coat a RTV rubber mold with to keep CA glue from bonding with it?

I have a bad mold I need to use as a jig (it will never see resin again) And I do not want to fight getting the model back out.

If that will not work I am bonding glass to resin, what glue will stick to those and not the RTV rubber or can be shielded from the RTV?
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames
The Mighty Ten-12 lives.
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur.
Olde Phoenix Inn http://www.oldephoenixinn.net
Johnnycrash

Re: CA and RTV

Post by Johnnycrash »

Tesral wrote:Does there exist a substance I can coat a RTV rubber mold with to keep CA glue from bonding with it?
Give the mold a shot of paint. Let that cure out, and you should be ready to go. You can give it several good coats without it building up too much.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Tesral

Re: CA and RTV

Post by Tesral »

Johnnycrash wrote: Give the mold a shot of paint. Let that cure out, and you should be ready to go. You can give it several good coats without it building up too much.
With or without mold release first?
The Mighty Ten-12 lives.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

If it's a silicone mold, you do not need any release. If it's a urethane, for gods sake soak that sucker in it!! If you do feel the need to use release, make sure it's a paintable type. The paint will bead up otherwise.

The paint will come right off the mold. I have in the past painted a mold, and then poured resin in while the paint was fresh. Bonds the paint to the resin really well.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Tesral

Post by Tesral »

Johnnycrash wrote:If it's a silicone mold, you do not need any release. If it's a urethane, for gods sake soak that sucker in it!! If you do feel the need to use release, make sure it's a paintable type. The paint will bead up otherwise.

The paint will come right off the mold. I have in the past painted a mold, and then poured resin in while the paint was fresh. Bonds the paint to the resin really well.

Thank you muchly. I will give this a shot. I might even give the paint before pour thing a try.

Yes, I use Silicone RTV.
The Mighty Ten-12 lives.