Tamiya flat Acrylics with pastel wash?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Titan7170

Tamiya flat Acrylics with pastel wash?

Post by Titan7170 »

I am accumilating the paints I'm going to need to paint FM Tie Interceptor, Tie Fighter and Millenium Falcon. I just purchased some Tamiya acrylics

1xlight gray xf-66
2xdark gray xf-24
3xdeck tan xf-55
1xlight blue xf-23

these are all flat paints. I was looking to now purchase the pastel chalks but first a couple questions.

1.Do I need to base coat these ships before painting?? I was planning to basecoat the ties in a very light gray and the MF in a off white but is it needed?

2.Can I do a a wash with pastels right over the flat paints or do I need to semi gloss or seal the flat with a clear or topcoat before hand? And last but not least, do I need to seal or topcoat over the wash??

Sorry for the questions I searched and really couldnt find any answers, and I have no idea what the proceedure should be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
You never heard of the millenium Falcon?.......Its the ship that made the kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.......
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I'm at work, so I've only got time for the second question :)

Gloss coat with Future before the Pastel wash. Make sure the pastels are NOT oil based.

Use nice artists pastels. Grind them well. Add water FIRST to a mixing palette, then a drop or two of laundry detergent. Stir gently with a paintbrush handle. Then add the finely ground dust and stir some more. Then, wash to your heart's content. :) If you mess up, remove with a damp cotton swab.

As for a cotton swab, use a misting coat of clear flat. I mean "very light" when I use the word "misting." Mist multiple misting coats of clear flat - I use Krylon clear matte in the Spraybomb can.

I hope this helps. Read some of the other threads in here for my writeups on the pastel washes.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

This, and more, is covered in the sticky subject: Washes.

The flat paint will retain pigment, which is OK for stains but not for panel lines and not for accumulated dust in crevices.

Acolyte Kenny has adroitly explained the subject.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Titan7170

Post by Titan7170 »

TER-OR wrote:This, and more, is covered in the sticky subject: Washes.

The flat paint will retain pigment, which is OK for stains but not for panel lines and not for accumulated dust in crevices.

Acolyte Kenny has adroitly explained the subject.
This is exactly what I was looking for, I wasnt sure if I had to clear the flat. I want to do panel lines not stains. I went into basic washes and advanced but it didnt say if I could use it or how with acrylics.

I dont have any recent background with airbrushing so its all new to me, if theres a sticky with basic techniques for painting a model point me in the right direction.
You never heard of the millenium Falcon?.......Its the ship that made the kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.......