How long should Aves Apoxy Sculpt last?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

justcrash

How long should Aves Apoxy Sculpt last?

Post by justcrash »

Does it go bad? I just unpacked it after being in its sealed container for a year, and there is a weird grease like substance on top of the "B" putty. :(
leo limuaco

Post by leo limuaco »

The weird grease like substance is normal. Aves is just like wonder puty that I bought 4 years ago. It's still good. As long as you keep the lids on and keep ii in a cool dry place like a storage cabinet or drawer it should last a good long time. Here's a sign that it doesn't work anymore. When you mix up a sample batch and it doesn't harden. Then the polymers aren't mixing. Trash it.
Leo Limuaco
woozle

Post by woozle »

Mine's between one and two years old and perfectly good.
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
mightymax

Re: How long should Aves Apoxy Sculpt last?

Post by mightymax »

justcrash wrote:Does it go bad? I just unpacked it after being in its sealed container for a year, and there is a weird grease like substance on top of the "B" putty. :(
I had some I had for 8 years that I had still sealed in a drawer.
I finally found something to try it on and you know it still worked!
I have since bought more because I am not so sure the 8 year old stuff would still work after having been open now for about a year.

Cheers,
Max Bryant
justcrash

Post by justcrash »

leo limuaco wrote:The weird grease like substance is normal. Aves is just like wonder puty that I bought 4 years ago. It's still good. As long as you keep the lids on and keep ii in a cool dry place like a storage cabinet or drawer it should last a good long time. Here's a sign that it doesn't work anymore. When you mix up a sample batch and it doesn't harden. Then the polymers aren't mixing. Trash it.
Leo Limuaco
Good info! Thanks for everyones help! I love this forum! :) No jerks and plenty of pleasant people! :)
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

"Cherish the Aves, storeth it in a cool, dry place. Sealeth it in its tubs, placed in zipper bags. Know ye this day, though Aves love for thee and thy models is unconditional, it needs help from the fold. It will endureth forever and ever. Call upon Aves in your darkest hour, and it will answer."

~ Sprues 10:10

[-o<

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
justcrash

Post by justcrash »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:"Cherish the Aves, storeth it in a cool, dry place. Sealeth it in its tubs, placed in zipper bags. Know ye this day, though Aves love for thee and thy models is unconditional, it needs help from the fold. It will endureth forever and ever. Call upon Aves in your darkest hour, and it will answer."

~ Sprues 10:10

[-o<

Kenny
:D
woozle

Post by woozle »

God help me.. I gotta wonder now, what the scriptures of the X-acto blade must be like.
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

" Wrap thou thy #1 handles with the triangular rubber thing, that thy
brand-new #11 blade held therein rolls not from thy workbench
and plunges into thy sneakered foot."

Injections 12:2

"Woe unto him that practices too great an economy with his blades-
for his dulled implement shall surely slip and gash his thumb, and he
shall cry like a girly man before his friends at the club demo."

Injections 14:7

Though I remain an A+B heretic, the epoxy putty does last and last-
my last stick was in irregular use for close on seven years. It did show
the same kind of 'sweat' that JustCrash described, but mix it back in
and its good as gold.
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
woozle

Post by woozle »

While supplicating at my workbench today, I found great comfort in one of my favorite verses:

Future 15
"The path of the righteous model builder is beset on all sides by the inequities of cheap spray finishes and tyranny of tacky gloss coats.
Blessed is he, who in the name of Smooth Finishes and Quality Displays will shepherd the weak through the valley of Model Building death, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost kits.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger, those who attempt to Uglify and Muddy my Finishes and you will know that I am the Lord of Top-Coats when I lay my vengeance upon you."
-Kaja Phoglio
vaderman

Post by vaderman »

Can I get an AMEN!
Do or Do Not....There is No Try!

Keeping Garage Kits Alive!