Cheap masking solution question.

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

MillenniumFalsehood

Cheap masking solution question.

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I am building an Imperial TIE Fighter from Ertl and have a masking question: I was wondering if I could coat the base-coat with a thin layer of vaseline and then apply a layer of Elmer's glue over that to act as a liquid mask? I would like to finish this project quickly before I lose interest in it, so I don't want to order latex masking agent off the internet. I want to finish both TIE's, so I don't want to try this on a spare wing. Any ideas? I am also open to suggestions about using household items as a mask.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

What exactly are you trying to mask? I'm assuming you are trying to mask out the solar panel areas on the wings.
Why not just use plain old cheap blue painters tape from the hardware store?
I have never heard of the 'vaseline and elmers glue technique' and I would think that going that route would be more of a headache and would guarantee that your project will not be 'finished quickly' like you would have hoped.
Just cut the tape down to thin workable strips with an exacto.
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

The Elmers glue won't stick to plastic, even without the vaseline. And the vaseline alone would act as a mask, but a little hard to trim and place! I'd just try a thickish blob of Elmers and lever out the plug of dried glue once you've painted.
Andrew
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

I remember making my own masking fluid once......ONCE. It involved mixing white glue, dishwashing detergent, and a little food coloring- I had picked up this "tip" from a Kalmbach modeling tips book from back in the 70's. And the mask failed horribly. Never again.

BTW, the greatest masking tape known to our hobby is sold right here in the SM store.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
Buzzbomb

Post by Buzzbomb »

With a few "depends" you could try to use damp paper.

No really, it works

Damp paper will have enough surface tension to hold onto a model for a little time, this is really good using acrylics, but "may" work with enamels.
It is best to do the mask, spray and get the mask off.

The trick is to only have enough water to dampen the paper and "stick"

Obviously it will not hold compound curves well but it might do the job on a flat surface and I reckon you would not even try if not using an airbrush.