Super small LED

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Locke_333

Super small LED

Post by Locke_333 »

Anyone here as ever done buisness with www.ngineering.com? They seems to have some cool stuff to use.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Holey crap that's some tiny LEDs. All I can say is you've got to be very secure in your soldering skills.
Abolish Alliteration
Locke_333

Post by Locke_333 »

hell yes! :twisted:
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Those are just surface mount LEDs. You need a magnifying lens, a very fine tip soldering iron and very fine solder if you plan on soldering wires to the pads. Or surface mount soldering equipment.

Digikey has tons of them and they come in cut tape, which is a little plastic strip with an indentation for each LED and a plastic cover to keep them in place.

If you don't have experience soldering surface mount ICs, either buy a lot (so you can practice...) or try unsoldering surface mount components (and soldering them back in) from a dead piece of hi-tech electronics.

If you don't know how to solder, you'll just be wasting your time with devices this small.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

HI!

DigiKey has some surface mount size LEDs that actually have short, flat 'wires' coming out the sides. MUCH easier to work with, I found. Yeah, I've used surface mount LEDs on a project, and HATED it. Teeeeny buggers.

Panasonic Designer LEDs - P417ND to P420ND - red, green yellow, and amber. There's another type with a teeny buble on the top.

At least in the last catalog I got from them.

Good luck!
Locke_333

Post by Locke_333 »

Thnaks for the info, i have a hard ttime finging the right think on digikey when i don't a a piece number, to may choice!
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

macfrank wrote:Those are just surface mount LEDs. You need a magnifying lens, a very fine tip soldering iron and very fine solder if you plan on soldering wires to the pads. Or surface mount soldering equipment.

Digikey has tons of them and they come in cut tape, which is a little plastic strip with an indentation for each LED and a plastic cover to keep them in place.

If you don't have experience soldering surface mount ICs, either buy a lot (so you can practice...) or try unsoldering surface mount components (and soldering them back in) from a dead piece of hi-tech electronics.

If you don't know how to solder, you'll just be wasting your time with devices this small.
What about that conductive paint stuff? I've seen modelers use that to create leads for more regular sized LED's before (painting a stripe down the wing of a resin airplane to act as a lead for a wingtip beacon, for instance). Might one be able to "cold solder" a micro LED using conductive paint (and maybe secure it seperately with a bead of glue on top if it needs it)?
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle