Toning down colors with an overspray

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Less Than Super Ostrich

Toning down colors with an overspray

Post by Less Than Super Ostrich »

I am finishing up my Fine Molds Slave 1 and I'm not entirely pleased with the colors. I have a maroon that is too dark and a dark gray that is slightly too dark in comparison to the light gray. I was wondering if anyone knew how I could tone down the colors without redoing the whole paint job. I really like my chipped/weathered paint job, so I don't want to redo the whole thing. I was contemplating misting a light gray overspray to tone down the colors. You think that would work... or is it wishful thinking?
On the sixth day, God created man... primarily out of Aves Apoxie Sculpt and other greeblies found around his hobby room.
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

The gray will look like dust, so don't do it! Take the original colors you used and lighten them with some white, then hit the high spots that would fade out faster in the sun. Go slow, let it sit after one pass and see if it's lookin ok, then proceed to desired effect.

Erin
<*>
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Erin Johnson's right!

Don't try to darken the whole model, but increase contrast in specific areas. This will also add depth.

Reverend!
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Less Than Super Ostrich

But how can I do that without re-masking? I have already done the chipped paint technique (done with liquid mask)... and it would take a million years to replicate the mask to get it right.
I think I may be out of luck. The color isn't bad.. it's just not perfect. I'll bring it to the next meeting, Terry.
On the sixth day, God created man... primarily out of Aves Apoxie Sculpt and other greeblies found around his hobby room.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Have you tried pastels? Mask the area with something easy like sticky notes, and go over the area (make sure it's sealed flat to give the dust something to grab) with a grey pastel dust.

Apply the dust with a makeup sponge. I'm referring to one of the ones on a stick women use to apply eye shadow. Blend it such that you see no edges, and you're done. Seal things with a nice, very light misting of clear flat. By "very light," I mean spray the mist in the air and fly the craft through it, making the appropriate "whoosh" sound as you do so.

I hope this helps. It's one of the ways I tone down decals that are too new looking.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Kenny Johnson's right!
There are more than one way to solve this problem. I'm just glad these fine children were here to witness this discussion. Not only is it fine modeling advice, but genuine Kentucky drawl!

Reverend!
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Less Than Super Ostrich

THank you thank you thank you. I will try this. I'll also try to post some pics so you can get a feeling for what I am talking about.

By the way. This is the downside of buying Star Wars Chronicles... I would be more than happy with it if I didn't have such great reference photos!!!!!
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

If I might 'splain one more thing here. IF you use my pastel method, make sure you don't let yer dust cake up around the border of the decal before you seal it.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

huh huh huh uh huh uhh...

He said Johnson...

8)
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.