Templates design... how?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Marcal

Templates design... how?

Post by Marcal »

Hi all,

I'm trying to do some templates for aztecking panels and so on... I'm trying to do it with adobe Ilustrator althoug I don't know if it is a good tool to do them.

Does someone know a good FREE manual, tutorial, or something??? I find the manual from adobe a bit unfriendly....

I would like to do things like fix the angles and distances in a trapezoid, draw a line at 5mm from the edge... and that sort of things

thanks in advance :D
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Well....If you have a line drawn & you want to draw another on exactly 5mm from it you can off-set the line by goign into the Object>Path>Offset Path and type the number (5mm) in there. You may have to go -5mm depending on whether you want the line inside or outside your shape.

Fix the angles & disances in a trapeziod....Not sure what you're doing here, could you explain it a bit more indetail for me?
Abolish Alliteration
Marcal

Post by Marcal »

kylwell wrote:Fix the angles & disances in a trapeziod....Not sure what you're doing here, could you explain it a bit more indetail for me?
for example: I want to do a trapezoid 5 cm high, 8,27 cm on tha base and 3,78 cm on the top...

any idea?? :?:
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Well...there's a couple of ways you could do it, here's how I would go about it.

First draw a rectangle 8.57 cm wide by 5 cm tall by selecting the rectangle tool and option clicking on the working area. This will bring up a dialog box asking for the dimensions.

Now, using the Single Section tool (the hollow or white arrow) select the top line segment of the rectangle. Then double click on the Scale tool and reduce the line segment by 45.70737%.

This should give you a tapezoid 5 cm high, 8.27 cm at the base and 3.78 cm at the top.
Abolish Alliteration