Airbrushing with Vallejo

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

caveslug

Airbrushing with Vallejo

Post by caveslug »

Has anyone airbrushed with these paints, what do you use to thin them down with?

I know they make a thinner, but its a small bottle.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I know guys do it, you might want to check out a liquitex product meant to extend acrylic paint for airbrushing. Some of the figure modeling sites might be helpful, too.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

OK, I'm using Vallejo to paint the Mercury capsule. The thing I can't say I like about them is the thickness. I've used both water and the Vallejo thinner, but the paint still seems way too thick and "spatter-y" It's hard to get a good even coverage. It does level out and thin on drying, but I'd like to see if there's room for improvement. I have some of the drying retarder mixed in there, too. It just seems like it takes far too much thinner to get a thin mixture!

I tested two of the old standbys - lacquer thinner and denatured alcohol.

Lacquer thinner: No effect on the liquid paint. Talk about oil & water, the paint just slides around in the thinner.

Denatured alcohol: Big mistake - bad reaction and the paint globs up immediately.

So has anyone else tried these paints and found a good airbrushing thinner? I've seen some good results in Scale Aircraft Modeller Int'l, so there must be a way!

Kev
caveslug

Post by caveslug »

There thinner they make, and water are the only 2 I have found.
And water seems to work the same as there thinner.

There paints go on great, only one problem. The paint scratches off way to easy. I still like there paints for minis, better then the GW's paints.
But I want use them again on models.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Vallejo has just released (or at least at my LHS) a line of airbrush ready paints.
Abolish Alliteration
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I've used Vallejo in an Iwata eclipse. The best way I've found to thin it, is to either use their thinner, or use Liquitex Flo-aid with a drop or two of Slo-dri. You will need to thin them quite a bit-about 50% in my experience.

Also, the airbrush ready paints are supposedly quite nice--I haven't used them, but I've seen a lot of the results. It appears they still need a bit of thinning, but not much.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin