Construction

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Ricoch3T

Construction

Post by Ricoch3T »

Hello,
Im new here (posting been looking a while) and have been building models since I was little.. Well I hadn't been building lately but trying to get back into it. My main question is, does every part need to be taken off the tree sanded and painted first?
When I started trying to detail a little more with my models it started taking me a lot longer to do things. I would see which pieces were needed on what step, take those loose and paint them (no no sanding, remember I was just starting to detail). Just seems like doing it this way takes a long time and I see some of yall put out some OUTSTANDING models in a week, or less sometimes.
Anyhow, anytips are great!! Thanks in adv.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Hi Ricoch3T! Welcome back to the madness - er - modeling.

There are a lot of different ways to build the same kit or model. Some people do what you do - paint first, assemble, touch up.

Others... don't.

My Klingon Bug of Prey was a severe kitbash of the K-BOP. I built the main structure in a day or so - added surface details and bits in a few more days. Then took it out on the porch, and visciously shot it with a layer of KRYLON BBQ Black High Temp paint as primer. After that had set, I took it back onto the porch, and shot a layer of Screaming Car Red from a touch up can, using the spray angle to leave some areas showing black in the details. It worked. Done.

If I feel the need, I may go back and do more detail painting. Maybe not. I like it the way it is.

That's ONE way to do that ONE model.

If the overall color of yoru model is something you can get from a rattle can, use it. First prime, then shoot the main color. THEN go detail with small brushes and your favorite compatible paint.

It's your model. Try several approaches.

Me, I'm just a bit burned out on micro-detailing.

MODEL ON!
Where there's a Will....there's Probate.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Welcome to the club.

Unfortunately the club likes to hit people a lot, causes brain damage that leads to buys chunks of resin that look like little spaceships.

Construction...hmmm, well that depends. The last two Hasegawa Macross models I've built (or am building) I was able to pull from the sprue, glue together sub-sections and then paint.

But...my normal routine for building mechs are to airbrush the base color while the parts are still on the sprue, then glue & sand and touch-up.

Some kits enable you to build in subsections, which can greatly help decaling and other techniques. Personally I wish all kits where built this way. Others you end up having to glue, sand, & paint a part then join it to another part that also gets to be glued, sanded & painted. Makes for a lot of masking & re-touching.

Is there a best way? Not really. I've been doing this hobby long enough that I can't remember my first model and I still have glued the wrong two pieces together (and struggled valiantly to do so). So much for age & experience.

Your meathod looks fine to me. Some speed tips are use a fast setting glue (like Ambroid or Tennax or Testors liquid), sanding sticks are worth the money and can serisouly speed up sanding compared to sandpaper, and acrylics dry faster (specially when you thin them propperly).

Advanced speed tips include the use of CA (spuer glue). CA is a love-hate thing. I love the speed & strength, hate the bottles glueing shut & the accidental glueing of the wrong things together.
Abolish Alliteration
Ricoch3T

Post by Ricoch3T »

Cool, thanks for the tips.. I've always done things the same, but I'd like produce some better looking models and start experimenting with weathering a bit to give it more realism. So I figured I'd see what others did as far as painting and what not to hopefully speed things along. :)