Sheet Styrene and window covers?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

joey_d1119

Sheet Styrene and window covers?

Post by joey_d1119 »

Where can I get thin sheets of styrene?

Also, I filled in my windows for my USS Reliant. What can I put over them to mask them when I paint. I want something I can just dab on the windows and peel off after I paint?
"I am a gazelle, watch me plunge in ratings" - Captain Archer, Stardate: it never should have happened.
Marcal

Re: Sheet Styrene and window covers?

Post by Marcal »

joey_d1119 wrote:Where can I get thin sheets of styrene?
in any hobby shop, maybe a hardware store...
joey_d1119 wrote:Also, I filled in my windows for my USS Reliant. What can I put over them to mask them when I paint. I want something I can just dab on the windows and peel off after I paint?
Liquid latex works just fine.
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Evergreen puts out a whole line of styrene that includes strips, shapes (I-beam, T-beam etc), rod and tubes as well as sheet styrene in from 5thou to 80 thou and textured sheet styrene. Should be available in any well equipped hobby store or model railroad store.

Microscale's MicroMask is a liquid masking agent (liquid latex??) which should work on your windows. Again check your local hobby store.

If you cannot find any of these in your hobby store try an on-line hobby store such as Squadron.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Owen E Oulton

Post by Owen E Oulton »

Actually, the hobby shop is about the most expensive place to buy sheet styrene. Look in your Yellow Pages under Plastics Suppliers (and similar headings). You can buy large sheets (4'x8') of white sheet styrene in thicknesses ranging from .005" up through .250" for far cheaper. Some people hereabouts swear by "For Sale" signs you can get at harware stores and Wal-Mart, they're more expensive than plastics shops (though still far cheaper than hobby stores).
...Only the dead dreams of a cold war kid...
SGluedMyFingers

Post by SGluedMyFingers »

http://www.plastruct.com/Home.html

Best "online" source for plastics that I have found. They only have clear styrene in .010 sheets, but they have several thicknesses of acrylic, butyrate and copolyester.

Acrylic seems like it would be do hard to work with. I don't know much about butyrate or copolyester sheet. Anyone ever used this stuff?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I'd disagree about MEK and MeCl.

Chlorinated solvents are bad stuff. If you're very careful, you should be OK - we're using small quantities in capillary action applications. MEK is a sensitizer, though, meaning you get more sensitive to it over time.

Again, be very careful. These are the best solvent cements available, use them sparingly.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati