Bricks/Stone at 1/100 scale?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Macdaddy4738

Bricks/Stone at 1/100 scale?

Post by Macdaddy4738 »

How do you recommend getting these textures and design? Im thinking that the bricks are about 1mm thick at this scale and i really dont want to go through and mark each one...

im NOT using foamboard for my buildings either...i cannot stand that stuff. I am using balsa wood with a Wall filler on the outside. I thought about making a stamp but i would need to reverse the whole process (IE the mortar would need to be raised while the bricks would need to be sunk in)

the stone shouldnt be that hard...just get some rocks in scale and put them into the wall then lightly spackle over that to fill up the gaps in between..i think kitty litter should be more then appropriate..

bricks are the only problem im getting...i thought about using Plastruct 1/100 scale sheeting and just gluing it onto the wood...but honestly thats going to get VERY expensive very quickly...
Bomech1

Post by Bomech1 »

Check the railroad section of your hobby shop. I had won a door prize years back and it was a mold set for brick walls notched on the ends so you could build them up. lost it in a move about 10yrs ago. Can't remember the brand name though - damn the 70's.
Brian :D
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Plastruct is our friend!

Kev
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Sometimes you can find cheap HO or N scale brick buildings- I got a bunch from Model Expo a couple of years ago for 2 or 3 dollars each. For making a stamp, maybe start with a photo-etch fence or grid panel from the model railroad store, cut out every other horizontal grid line, and then mont the sheet onto something flat with a handle? It would be a tedious but simple job, and a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of buildings.
Hope this helps,
Andrew
Macdaddy4738

Post by Macdaddy4738 »

Kekker wrote:Plastruct is our friend!

Kev
yea but its damn expensive!!! I think thats the only way i can go though...and if i can manage to make a stamp outta it.. :D

ohh BTW concerning HO and N scale, HO is like 1:87 and N is 1:160 i think...

i know those are close but it will always bug me if the board isnt in 100% perfect scale
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Not sure if Evergreen has brick work, however, you could get the Evergreen V-groove at the appropriate "brick" thickness and then scribe your own brick pattern. Still somewhat tedious but about a third to half the work is done by using the pre-patterned styrene. Of course once its done, pour rubber over it so that you have a mold for future projects.......or others wanting brick work.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Macdaddy4738

Post by Macdaddy4738 »

Brian Oakley wrote:Check the railroad section of your hobby shop. I had won a door prize years back and it was a mold set for brick walls notched on the ends so you could build them up. lost it in a move about 10yrs ago. Can't remember the brand name though - damn the 70's.
Brian :D
ive seen stuff like this called Linka Molds...this could be it..

Evergreen has a precut tile sheet but its too square for a brick.