About self done decals

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Marcal

About self done decals

Post by Marcal »

Hello there,

I recently got after mark decals from DLM. It is said in the instructions to apply "Microscales Super Film" before use them. Where I live it is not possible to get this stuff. Any kind of clear lacque is useful as well or it should have some special characteristic??

At home I only have Tamiya Acrylic Clear... would it work?? :?:

There are my first after market decals, I didn't know that it was so complicated...

By the way, these decals from Don's Light and Magic are really great stuff !!! :D

thanks in advance !!
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Any acrylic-based 'lacquer' should work. Personally, I have used both Humbrol and Citadel varnishes.

Just don't try to do it in one sweep - your ink will run. Don't spray directly on the sheet, but 'mist' it over the sheet in several passes, letting each coat dry.

I print a section of scrap text on the sheet - a quick swipe with a damp cloth will tel you if you've covered the sheet enough - because the printing won't smear.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Marcal

Post by Marcal »

seam-filler wrote:Any acrylic-based 'lacquer' should work. Personally, I have used both Humbrol and Citadel varnishes.

Just don't try to do it in one sweep - your ink will run. Don't spray directly on the sheet, but 'mist' it over the sheet in several passes, letting each coat dry.

I print a section of scrap text on the sheet - a quick swipe with a damp cloth will tel you if you've covered the sheet enough - because the printing won't smear.

Many thanks !!!! \:D/ I will do it so.