Where to buy PLastikote 1004

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

nurturer

Where to buy PLastikote 1004

Post by nurturer »

Is there anywhere on the web where one can buy Plastikote 1004, which I understand is being substituted for 7173?
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Plasti-Kote's GM7173 is General Motors Silver Sand Gray. This is an iridescent paint which means its appearance changes with light conditions - are you really trying to paint an Andromeda??

If they say that 1004 has been superceded by 7173 then I'm afraid that you're out of luck for a perfect match. But you will probably find that 7173 will be a pretty good match.

Does it HAVE to be the same, or would you consider re-doing the whole job? If so, consider the same or similar colors from other manufacturers. BMW, Mazda, Lexus, Rolls Royce and Ford all have similar 'interference' colors (also often called "Silver Sand") and so a lot of paint manufacturers sell matches for these too.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson