1/1000 Discovery Enterprise Light Kit

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

fgf1012

1/1000 Discovery Enterprise Light Kit

Post by fgf1012 »

Hello:

I purchased the light kit for the 1/1000 Discovery Enterprise, but I find the interior LEDs cast a blue tint. I'd like to change them out for warm white LEDs. How easy would that be to do? If it's simple/ what type of LEDs would you all recommend.

I don't know anything about electronics, so any help would be apreciated.

Thanks.
EVApodman

Re: 1/1000 Discovery Enterprise Light Kit

Post by EVApodman »

I discovered that the LEDs that I started out with for my K'tinga kit had a different shade than ones I got later which were more bluish in color when compared with the others.

I have not seen a true white LED except for the 3 color ones that require all three lit and even they seem off. the warmer color LEDs seem more yellowish to me also.

Initially LEDs only came in red, yellow and green, the colors being determined by the elements used in their manufacture. Modern techniques have created the blue LED, now available in various shades.

I don't know about the lighting kit so I can't advise on how to swap out the LEDs. All I can say this would involve a lot of soldering and if you have no experience soldering and no proper tools you would end up ruining the kit.

I replaced all the LEDs from the K'tinga lighting kit but I have extensive experience in soldering and I used a quality Weller iron and it was still a pain that I did in bits.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
Shin

Post by Shin »

I don't think you can just replace the bulbs from cool to warm like Christmas lights if that's what you're asking.

Just started my model. I also have no/extremely limited electronics experience as well, so my first approach to try this will be to paint the windows with Tamiya clear yellow or orange to see if that'll warm them up a bit to bring them closer to a neutral or even slightly warm white. Or if you don't want to paint, some colored gel like photographers use - principal is the same.

Conversely I guess you could paint the actual LED instead, but I'd be a bit wary about that approach.
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

Does the kit come with flashing collision strobes and blinking nav lights as well as the regular lights?
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
Shin

Post by Shin »

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:02 pm Does the kit come with flashing collision strobes and blinking nav lights as well as the regular lights?
negative. the navigation light "bulbs" are built into the window panel, so they anticipate you'll paint them transparent green or red. the collision lights on the front of the saucer are the same.

to be clear - there are no "animated" lights in this kit - the nacelles are four yellow LEDs on a circular board, and the motor spins a clear part in front of them.
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

Ah, that's a shame. At least the lighting kit for the K'Tinga has flashing NAV lights. I thought they might include the same for this new Discoprise kit.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
Shin

Post by Shin »

it's a bummer but I can see why they didn't - the nav lights are directly adjacent (and the top ones are on top of) windows. there's no easy way to do this without light blocking the flashers from window areas, and then providing tiny SMDs for the nav lights. Something I don't think would be user friendly or easily explainable in a consumer kit.