Looking for tie fighter wing material

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

GorFrag

Looking for tie fighter wing material

Post by GorFrag »

I want to build something similar to an imperial millennium falcon at about 1/144 scale. Styled after the Sith Fury interceptor in KOTOR online game. whats a good looking sheet material to make the wing panels with. It need not be super accurate to tie fighter panels just something with a nice small ans tight pattern.
Stu Pidasso

Re: Looking for tie fighter wing material

Post by Stu Pidasso »

It's called "Kool Shade." And the accurate stuff is pretty rare. Some people have resigned to using the window screen material out of their houses.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Ramsayman

Post by Ramsayman »

Window screen looks good in 1/72 scale, but I don't think it will look "tight" enough in 1/144... maybe there's a tighter filter or something somewhere?
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Ah, 144. I have seen people use spray adhesive and stretched pantyhose or stockings to create the honeycomb or grid effect.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

At 1:144, I wouldn't bother with getting anything specific. Just get some finely grooved styrene sheet and cut your panels out of that. It'll look perfect at that scale. :)
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

Here's a pic of the material if you want to find something to duplicate it with. (kool shade used to super detail a hasbro TIE)
http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/in ... ic=8775.45
It is effectively a fine grid of horizontal metal ribbons held in place by a widely spaced set of perpendicular wires. There are some HO PE loco intake grills that have a similar pattern to them, but whether they would work for TIE panel grills is something else entirely.

I haven't seen the kit personally, but looking at pics of the 1/144 model they look visually fairly good if perhaps overscale, but that's not really unusual for something on this scale. They do appear more spot on than replacing them with something that generates a "honeycomb" effect. It's not a honeycomb.

Darth's tie used a more rectangular waffle grid, don't know where from (some plastruct standard?)
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)