Has Ambroid disappeared?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Glorfindel

Has Ambroid disappeared?

Post by Glorfindel »

As the thread reads.
Haven't seen this at my local hobby shop lately and online searches lead to Same Stuff from MicroMart. Anybody know what happened here?

Besides Tanex as a slightly more aggressive alternative ant other alternatives you guys like?
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
Andrew Gorman

Re: Has Ambroid disappeared?

Post by Andrew Gorman »

I think it has vanished. Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth on flying model airplane boards about the lack of the tube cement, and the address on an old bottle shows up as a suburban house. I use acrylic cement as a substitute for Pro-Weld. I get it at TAP Plastics, a West coast supplier but you should be able to find some at any plastics distributor. Check the SDS to make sure it contains methylene chloride- nasty stuff, but it is the active principle that makes it work.
https://www.tapplastics.com/product/rep ... hsQAvD_BwE
Directly above the center of the Earth.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Ambroid & Tenax both shut down years ago. MicroMark sells "SameStuff" which is purportedly a replacement for Ambroid. I've found Flex-i-file's Plast-i-weld a suitable replacement for Tenax.
Abolish Alliteration
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

Kylwell wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:35 pm Ambroid & Tenax both shut down years ago. MicroMark sells "SameStuff" which is purportedly a replacement for Ambroid. I've found Flex-i-file's Plast-i-weld a suitable replacement for Tenax.
Flex-i-file bottle here too!!!! I was a Pro-Weld only guy....bought up what I could as soon as I heard it was gone. Tried many of them.......Flex-i-file the best by far.....maybe better than PRO.....
Harumph

Post by Harumph »

Ambroid was always my primary glue, and I bought Same Stuff as soon as I found out about it. Same "heat", same consistency, same odor. I'm very happy with the product.
battlestar62

Post by battlestar62 »

DaveVan wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:47 pm
Kylwell wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:35 pm Ambroid & Tenax both shut down years ago. MicroMark sells "SameStuff" which is purportedly a replacement for Ambroid. I've found Flex-i-file's Plast-i-weld a suitable replacement for Tenax.
Flex-i-file bottle here too!!!! I was a Pro-Weld only guy....bought up what I could as soon as I heard it was gone. Tried many of them.......Flex-i-file the best by far.....maybe better than PRO.....
That's good to hear about Flexifile just bought my first bottle.
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Flex -I-File.....think I'm going to give that a whirl.
Thanks boys
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

Glorfindel wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:10 am Flex -I-File.....think I'm going to give that a whirl.
Thanks boys
If you have a Hobby Lobby they carry it....use the 40% coupon.....good deal!!!!!
Chas

Post by Chas »

I just use MEK -$17.00 (CAN) for 750 ml from just about any hardware store.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Chas wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:45 pm I just use MEK -$17.00 (CAN) for 750 ml from just about any hardware store.
I prefer Methylene chloride. Doesn't melt the brain as fast & doesn't give me headaches.
Abolish Alliteration
Chas

Post by Chas »

I have a respirator and using it ain't no biggie for me.
If I could get my hands on Methylene Chloride (Dichloromethane) as easily I'd snap it up, but alas 'tis rarer stuff that.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
chasd25

Post by chasd25 »

Kylwell wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:34 pm
Chas wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:45 pm I just use MEK -$17.00 (CAN) for 750 ml from just about any hardware store.
I prefer Methylene chloride. Doesn't melt the brain as fast & doesn't give me headaches.
Me too, I’ve used all kinds of solvents over the years working in prototyping, MEK and Kerosene both give me instant headaches. Nothing else seemed to bother me.

I’ve got a few bottles of tenax left for special uses but I’ve found Plastrut Bondene to be a pretty good substitute.
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Picked up the Flex I File at Hobby Lobby with their 40%off coupon as DaveVan suggested. $5.20 with Suffolk County's .08625 tax rate.
In a twist of fate my LHS is in the same shopping center so I cruised on in and picked up Tamiya's new P-38F/G Lightning. Tamiya has upped their bar on this kit if any of you guys are in to something other than Sci Fi. Kits not a snap fit kit like Bandai but damn the thing is engineered so well that it rivals for sure. Halfway through construction and I see no use for filler yet so the seams are definitely that good. I just hope they develop a 1/32 scale P-38 someday to compliment their other 32nd scale options.
~Best in Show, 2000
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

Hope the Flexi works well for you.
The P-38 has tempted me....My father in law was the master mechanic for a Squad in Europe WWII