Model Enlarging?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

ashrond

Model Enlarging?

Post by ashrond »

Hey all,
I have a model (seaquest) that I want to build into an RC submarine, I THINK I can cram all of the stuff into it but I would rather have a model about 1.5x the size of the current one.

Anyone know any affordable services that I could source to have the model enlarged like with a CNC into wood or foam, that I could have vacuformed?

also, I may need a vacuformer local in fl would be nice because I have a few projects that I’m finishing up that I would like to have vacuformed.

Thanks
-Ash
Boldly being “that guy” since 2001.
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

Unfortunately the definition of "affordable" varies considerably from the world of personal stuff to the world of business.

You can probably get the model you have laser pantographed for only a few thousand dollars, which is very, very affordable in the world of rapid prototyping.

For my personal budget, though, that's idea-killing expensive.

However, the places to ask would be local rapid prototyping shops for the upscaling and then local sign shops for the vacuum forming. Good luck, but the be prepared for 4 digit costs for the upscaling.

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!
Chas

Post by Chas »

Cheaper to scratch build one yourself. Possibly more gratifying as well!
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
ashrond

Post by ashrond »

scratch build a cnc machine to enlarge the model?
and undercut all the と お思 taht are charging waaay too much to run a machine that is prettymuch automated you say?

hummmmm

i sopose i could use my autocad powers for good for a change... but

id rather this be a quick and easy deal.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Buy a bunch of blue foam, carve it down to shape, cover with foam safe fiberglass and remove the foam where needed. Bamf! Instant submarine.
Abolish Alliteration
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

ashrond wrote:scratch build a cnc machine to enlarge the model?
and undercut all the と お思 taht are charging waaay too much to run a machine that is prettymuch automated you say?
I hope you're joking.

There seems to be a widely held myth amongst modelers that the mere existence of 3D laser scanning and CNC machines allows any model to be copied and upscaled or even copied and given recessed panel lines with the mere click of a mouse.

Ken
ashrond

Post by ashrond »

kenlilly106 wrote:
ashrond wrote:scratch build a cnc machine to enlarge the model?
I hope you're joking.

There seems to be a widely held myth amongst modelers that the mere existence of 3D laser scanning and CNC machines allows any model to be copied and upscaled or even copied and given recessed panel lines with the mere click of a mouse.

Ken
A, I'm nt looking for recessed panel lines, or any such detail - I just want a macro shape. A sillouette, as it were.

B, I did not expect it to entail "a few mouse clicks".

I am simply suggesting that given my experience, and what I want, it may be feasable to invest in this equipment myself, seeing as I have done similar work in the past - I simply do not have the equipment to do so ATM.
Go Flight

Post by Go Flight »

I would have to agree with Kylwell
Take an image of your submarine and increase it the 1.5 X, You'll need a side view and a top view.
if big take to a local Staples and let them print it out on a large sheet.
Then take wood or foam and cut out the gross shapes.
Then you can refine the shapes to the detail you want.
If you want to do the vac forming yourself you can then cut the sub into however many parts will fit your vac machine (easy to build one)
and vac it.
Then it's just a matter of rebuilding the hull parts.

Certainly less expensive then getting your own cnc machine.
ashrond

Post by ashrond »

ill be building one of these, with offsets to enlarge the model shape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkDkgHDb ... re=related
Underlord

Post by Underlord »

I've seen that concept at my local big-box hobby store for tracing drawings. Crude, but it could be effective enough when working with foam. I'd be interested in seeing some pictures or video of your progress. You won't be getting detail, but you could probably get an enlarged rough shape with that method! You'll probably have to build a VERY sturdy jig since any vibration or human error would also get magnified.

Certenly much cheeper than 3D scanning and CNC machines!
Your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, if it lasts more than 4 hours, see a doctor. All prosecutors will be violated. Only fools are certain. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. The best advice I ever received was "Don't take anyone's advice. Listen to what everyone says, then make up your own damned mind."
ashrond

Post by ashrond »

Underlord wrote:I've seen that concept at my local big-box hobby store for tracing drawings. Crude, but it could be effective enough when working with foam. I'd be interested in seeing some pictures or video of your progress. You won't be getting detail, but you could probably get an enlarged rough shape with that method! You'll probably have to build a VERY sturdy jig since any vibration or human error would also get magnified.

Certenly much cheeper than 3D scanning and CNC machines!
That’s the idea!
Besides I’m not worried about the "details" on the model close inspection reveals that there all a bit "off" such as the missile tube hatches are not aligned or even uniform in size
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i69/a ... 001005.jpg
some of the lines on the ship are off
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i69/a ... 001006.jpg
The detail parts ill just build in AutoCAD and have laser cut at my uncles shop or 3d printed at shape ways and glue them in place before I vacuform it, or possibly even after!

Point is I just need the shape enlarged
Migmaker

Re: Model Enlarging?

Post by Migmaker »

There's a 41.025" replica available
If you can dream it, I can build it, and probably already have......:) William
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

Maybe some old school modeling techniques will help

try
https://sites.ualberta.ca/~khorne/solid/solid.html

It seems the basic thing is work out some 3 or 6 view plans for the sub and scale that. (2D pantographs are fairly easy DIY projects)
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

P.S. This might also help if you want to play with Blender and paper modelling techniques
Using Blender to make Hull formers
https://constantvariation.blogspot.com/ ... khead.html Part 1
https://constantvariation.blogspot.com/ ... om-3d.html Part 2

(just called these up for another reason)
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)
naoto

Post by naoto »

Naoto Kimura
木村直人
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

Try Photogrammetry. There is free software out there.
Meshroom, 3DF Zephyr. If it doesn't produce the quality you need, the only thing you lost is a bit of time.

TazMan2000
aussie cylon

Post by aussie cylon »

I seem to remember that there already exists an RC Seaquest sub. I think I've seen it on youtube. Try there first, I think I saw it when I was researching the Monogram Seaquest Stinger model.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

aussie cylon wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:25 am I seem to remember that there already exists an RC Seaquest sub. I think I've seen it on youtube. Try there first, I think I saw it when I was researching the Monogram Seaquest Stinger model.
And as if by magic...

https://www.rc-submarine.com/product-pa ... -300-scale

(edit) They're doing it for almost $200 less in the "bargain bin"... https://www.rc-submarine.com/product-pa ... argain-bin

As aussie cylon says, there are a few YouTube vids of it.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson