1/29 Revell X-Wing

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jpolacchi

1/29 Revell X-Wing

Post by jpolacchi »

So,I have this kit and I knew of its inaccuracies buying it,but the deal was too good to pass up.There are lots of upgrades available on shapeways which I plan to get,but I'm wondering about the rest of the kit?The wings(right size/length/proportions/details?) as well as the main hull of the X-Wing which I am certain isn't accurate.I haven't been able to find too much to corroborate what is wrong with it and what needs fixing and improvement,so I have been considering "re-scratching" a new hull.I'm not sure where to find "accurate" building plans for the X-Wing where I can scale them up.There's old threads on the rpf. However,many of the photos I can't see/open so I am not sure what is being done?I thought I'd seek some help/guidance in here.
trekman

Re: 1/29 Revell X-Wing

Post by trekman »

I’m working on this model and I have a few Shapeways products which definitely help. The most information I could find was on Facebook groups. You have to join but the knowledge is out there! Wow, I’m really surprised no one has any ideas? Really? :(
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

Is it the one mentioned in this blog
https://imodeler.com/2018/07/revell-1-2 ... -progress/
?

I picked up the same kit cause as you said, the deal was too good.
It looks like it will require quite a bit of work. Not the least finding or making a new pilot, because the one it comes with is just terrible.
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)
gsb5w

Post by gsb5w »

jpolacchi wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:02 pm So,I have this kit and I knew of its inaccuracies buying it,but the deal was too good to pass up.There are lots of upgrades available on shapeways which I plan to get,but I'm wondering about the rest of the kit?The wings(right size/length/proportions/details?) as well as the main hull of the X-Wing which I am certain isn't accurate.I haven't been able to find too much to corroborate what is wrong with it and what needs fixing and improvement,so I have been considering "re-scratching" a new hull.I'm not sure where to find "accurate" building plans for the X-Wing where I can scale them up.There's old threads on the rpf. However,many of the photos I can't see/open so I am not sure what is being done?I thought I'd seek some help/guidance in here.
Are you building the kit for a client or for yourself. Sounds like if you are not sure about length,width,height, details etc etc I would just focus on any glaring inaccuracies because I don’t think any two of the filming miniatures were the same anyway. Maybe this will help and maybe it won’t.
blakeh1

Post by blakeh1 »

Most of the studio scale builds I have seen were starting with a cast of one of the pyro x-wing hulls and then they scratch the wings.

Barring access to that....upscale from a Bandai 1/72 X-Wing?

You can use something like this http://www.scalemodelersworld.com/onlin ... -tool.html

The problem is the Revell kit may be spotty with the scale. I've seen it listed as 1/30 as well as 1/29 so you might need a bit of trial and error.

Possibly first start with simply measuring the length, width of the Bandai hull and see how it scales up to the revell one and whether it may or may not already be accurate for either 1/29 or 1/30
A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
- Frank Zappa
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

Good Idea...I know not even ILM's X-Wings were all alike.Say maybe short of being cast from the same mold,but I have read that the Revell X-Wing(the 1/29 or 1/30 scale whichever it is?) had some scaling problems and as with most commercial kits(excluding Bandai's) that many were lacking detail or accurate detail.