Plastruct Weldene

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TIEbomber1967

Plastruct Weldene

Post by TIEbomber1967 »

I've been trying to find Plastruct Weldene for some time now, with no luck. I liked the fact that it was non-toxic and didn't evaporate quickly, allowing some "fiddle time" with the kit pieces.
Does anyone know for certain if it was discontinued? And if so, what other product will be both non-toxic and allow some time to work with it before the bonding process begins.
Thanks.
DaveVan

Re: Plastruct Weldene

Post by DaveVan »

I'd check the Plastruct website and see if it is still made. GREAT folks to deal with direct.
StarCruiser

Post by StarCruiser »

It's not listed on the Plastruct site at all... Just their Bondene and Plastic Weld - both of which contain toxins. :(
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's mantra
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

StarCruiser wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:02 pm It's not listed on the Plastruct site at all... Just their Bondene and Plastic Weld - both of which contain toxins. :(
I will admit I tried it once and did not like it.....it irritated my nose bad.
I'd give them a call....maybe it is discontinued but they have some left over in stock. Just an idea.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Give Mr Hobby Limonene glue a try. Non-toxic and works well.
Abolish Alliteration
TIEbomber1967

Post by TIEbomber1967 »

Kylwell wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:05 pm Give Mr Hobby Limonene glue a try. Non-toxic and works well.
Well since Weldene seems to be no more, I'll have to try other glues. I'll put Limonene on my list of hobby stuff to get.
Thanks.
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

You can get pure limonene online from multiple sources. Make sure you get the food grade pure stuff, as there are a lot of products that have limonene as only part of their formulation and have soaps, emulsifiers, other oils, and surfactants in them. I doubt they would work as well.

Naturally, I'd say get the smallest amount and give it a test. I'm sure others here would want to hear if there's a cheaper, effective and non-toxic glue!

Kev
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

TIEbomber1967 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:59 pm
Kylwell wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:05 pm Give Mr Hobby Limonene glue a try. Non-toxic and works well.
Well since Weldene seems to be no more, I'll have to try other glues. I'll put Limonene on my list of hobby stuff to get.
Thanks.
It also comes in a really handy pen version https://www.gundamplanet.com/mr-cement- ... -type.html
Abolish Alliteration
geck

Post by geck »

Tamiya also has a cement now for ABS:

https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-87137-CEM ... way&sr=8-6