need glue for most plastics

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

battlestar62

need glue for most plastics

Post by battlestar62 »

Hi I am going to scratch build a universal ship yard so I can place any ship of any scale into it and it will look fine. but I need so help on what glue to use for bonding most types of plastics together any help would be welcomed.
Stu Pidasso

Re: need glue for most plastics

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Regular old Super Glue will work for most plastic, resin, glass, and Metal materials. If you are using styrene from model kits, then you have to use model glue, which will not stick to those other surfaces. Your best bet for an all-around adhesive for everything will be the two-part epoxy stuff you buy at the auto store or Walmart. Like five minute epoxy.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

Plastic model glue works by partially melting the contact surfaces so that when the glue dies so does the styrene, creating a welded joint. Similar glues are MEK ( methyl ethyl ketone) and ABS glue, good for ABS plastics which are different from styrene.

Super Glue doesn't interact with most surfaces and allows you to join parts that plastic glue won't work on like resin, metal and others. The downside is that you have to be careful when working with it since it is very easy to bond fingers to surfaces.

Epoxy glue can be used to join surfaces together for a tight, strong fit. The downside is that most epoxy glues have to be mixed and you have long setting times and they can be messy.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
battlestar62

Post by battlestar62 »

Thanks I have epoxy glue I was look for something easier to apply. well I also have JB weld its great stuff but has the same problem as the before mentioned glue how is the glue you have different?
Last edited by battlestar62 on Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

My glue of preference is Flex-i-file's Plast-i-weld. MEC based so it doesn't melt your brain like MEK. For non styrene based you've got 2 options, Cyanoacrylte (Super glue) or 2 part epoxy. CA makes for a strong bond provided there's a smooth surface and it's not a low energy plastic like PETE, PTFE, HDPE, MDPE, etc. For those types of plastic you need a mechanical bond which can be done by literally screwing the piece on or using an epoxy. Be warned that those plastics generally don't like paint either. You'll either need a primer make specifically for that type of plastic or treat the surface to accept paint.
Abolish Alliteration
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

Kylwell wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:00 pm My glue of preference is Flex-i-file's Plast-i-weld. MEC based so it doesn't melt your brain like MEK. For non styrene based you've got 2 options, Cyanoacrylte (Super glue) or 2 part epoxy. CA makes for a strong bond provided there's a smooth surface and it's not a low energy plastic like PETE, PTFE, HDPE, MDPE, etc. For those types of plastic you need a mechanical bond which can be done by literally screwing the piece on or using an epoxy. Be warned that those plastics generally don't like paint either. You'll either need a primer make specifically for that type of plastic or treat the surface to accept paint.
(Taking notes)
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
battlestar62

Post by battlestar62 »

Is Plastruct plastic weld similar ?
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

battlestar62 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:03 am Is Plastruct plastic weld similar ?
This glue was made for Plastruct plastic which is ABS and not styrene. Regular plastic glue like Testors will not give good results as I discovered many years ago when I tried to use it on an ABS kit. I don't know how well it works on styrene.

A friend made the Terminator Tank from T2 using Crazy glue since this kit was ABS and not styrene.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

I use acrylic cement, which has some methylene chloride in it. Works great on Styrene, ABS, acrylics, plexiglas and most rigid plastics. I get it locally at TAP Plastics, but there are other versions. It is pretty similar to Ambroid Pro-Weld, but a lot cheaper:
https://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/pdf ... nt_SDS.pdf
Directly above the center of the Earth.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Andrew Gorman wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:24 pm I use acrylic cement, which has some methylene chloride in it. Works great on Styrene, ABS, acrylics, plexiglas and most rigid plastics. I get it locally at TAP Plastics, but there are other versions. It is pretty similar to Ambroid Pro-Weld, but a lot cheaper:
https://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/pdf ... nt_SDS.pdf
And there you go. I usually use CA for acrylic but I'm also not looking for a clean joint. There's also watch crystal glue which dries incredibly clear.

And always put the cap or lid back on. There's a reason hobbiest glues come in narrow mouthed jars, it's to keep the vapors down. You can develop sensitivities things like CA, lacquer thinner, MEK, MEC, acetone, etc. Ventilation is your friend.
Abolish Alliteration
battlestar62

Post by battlestar62 »

Tried a glue that I bought 6 months ago called weldwood contact cement, great stuff under 10$ has a bush glues most plastics.I will try to find out where I got it.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

One mixture I've been using for a while for really small styrene parts is to mix a 1:1 ratio of acetone and lacquer thinner. I read this in Jamie's blog on building the K'Tinga, and it works really well for joining delicate parts that would liquefy using something like MEK or Flex-i-file's welder.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

You want a welding solvent for ABS and Styrene. You can buy online through TAP Plastics if there is not one near you.You also need a "welding solvent" for acrylic.Its different from the stuff used for ABS&styrene. I'd stay away from using super glue.Its not a great bond.Its Okay for just sticking "small" detail parts on aybe,but to tell you the truth...I'd use a good 5 min. Devcon epoxy over super glue.For PVC just go to your local hardware store.Super glue is OKAY in a pinch or maybe filling in small gaps,but I wouldn't relay on it.
naoto

Post by naoto »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate
Wikipedia wrote:...
Cyanoacrylate glue has a low shearing strength, which has led to its use as a temporary adhesive in cases where the piece needs to be sheared off later. Common examples include mounting a workpiece to a sacrificial glue block on a lathe, and tightening pins and bolts. It is also used in conjunction with another, slower, but more resilient adhesive as a way of rapidly forming a joint, which then holds the pieces in the appropriate configuration until the second adhesive has set.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人