lighting a 1/144 Anigrand kit

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

jpolacchi

lighting a 1/144 Anigrand kit

Post by jpolacchi »

So,I'm trying to break into "lighting" and "graduate(so to speak) in my model building skills.I have am getting a 1/144 Anigrand 1/144 Shuttle Tydirium kit.It is "small" so there's not allot of space in there,but I have seen build-ups of the kit "lit".Instead of doing a great deal of "surgery" to the wings as others have done,I think it would actually be easier to "scratch" *NEW* wings to allow for the very,very small flashers in the wing tips. I'm trying to "educate" myself on the basics of wiring,connecting LEDS and getting everything to work,but I was hoping maybe for some help or suggestions from others who may be/have more experience in lighting kits.
TShark

Re: lighting a 1/144 Anigrand kit

Post by TShark »

HDA has been my go to place for "micro" LEDs. Their service is fast and the LEDs are very bright.

Here is a link to them:

http://hdamodelworx.com/SMD-Lighting_c_31.html

Hope this helps
TShark
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

Wow!Thank you!
TShark

Post by TShark »

I might also suggest you consider using magnet wire for your wiring. For the scale of your model it will be much easier to route and use. I use red and green 30 AWG. It will handle 30 to 40 LEDs no problem.

Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-AWG-Copper ... agnet+wire
TShark
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I've been talking to Randy from Voodoo FX and he used to provide a lighting kit for the Anigrand kit.So,I am buying the parts/components from him and putting it all together.I am going to "dive in' and educate myself on the basics of wiring.Soldering I think shouldn't be too complicated.A little practice.It may not be perfect when I do it and not pretty ,but if I can get the lights to come on,the blinkers/strobes to flash I'll be happy with the results.Unfortunately for the Anigrand Tydirium shuttle,the wings are cast solid and not hollow.Probably impossible to do at 1/144 scale.I am planing to re-scratch the wings of sheet styrene and ABS...and maybe some Evergreen or Plastistruct to allow for lighting,so it makes this project a little more "fun and interesting".
TShark

Post by TShark »

Sounds like you have a plan. I think you will find adding electronics to models well worth the learning curve. Another method you might consider with the thin wings of the shuttle is cutting a small trench in the wings for the magnet wire I mentioned (30 AWG magnetic wire is not too much thicker than sewing thread). Then putty over the trench and finish.
TShark
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I think Nicolas Sagan did that in his commission build.Looks sweet when he was done,lots of "dremeling" and hogging out the wings for wiring,so iI figured scratching new wings might be a better idea and not too different in the ways of work?
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I should probably kill this thread.I never got the 1/144 Anigrand kit.The E-Bay seller SCREWED ME and EVIL BAY did next to nothing about it.I lost around $200.00,maybe a little more on that auction.