Decals

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

hoth rebel

Decals

Post by hoth rebel »

Do they go before the gloss coat with micro sol the micro set then gloss coat weather and then dull coat?
Thanks.
admiralcag

Re: Decals

Post by admiralcag »

- Apply a gloss coat that is chemically different from your color coat. Future is always a good choice.
- Dip your decal in warm water for about 30 seconds. You can mix in some PVA glue (Elmer's) to help the decals stick. Place on a piece of paper towel to drain excess water. Let it sit for about a minute. If you do put in glue, DO NOT USE Elmer's School Glue. It will not dissolve.
- Put down some MicroSet.
- Place your decal. Use some water and a soft brush to position it.
- Wick away excess water with cotton swabs and paper towels.
- Apply MicroSol. This will cause the decal to crinkle. Don't panic. It will also make the decal soft and easy to damage.
- Wick away excess MicroSol.
- Repeat. Do one side of the model at a time. Top, bottom, left, right.
- Let decals dry overnight. If you have an overlapping decal, like a windows decal and a Federation starship pennant, wait to do the top decal.
- Apply a gloss coat to seal the decals when done and to give them a uniform sheen.
- You may want to weather at this point, depending on the technique you are using. Oil washes work better on a glossy surface. YMMV.
- Apply a flat coat.
- Weather.

Hope this helps.

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
hoth rebel

Post by hoth rebel »

Thank for your help.
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

After decals have thoroughly dried and before applying any clear top coats, you might also wipe the model down with a soft damp cloth to remove any residue left by the evaporation of the Micro Set and Micro Sol. Setting solutions can sometimes cause brown stains to appear under the top coat, especially if the water in your area is hard.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
hoth rebel

Post by hoth rebel »

admiralcag wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:19 am - Apply a gloss coat that is chemically different from your color coat. Future is always a good choice.
- Dip your decal in warm water for about 30 seconds. You can mix in some PVA glue (Elmer's) to help the decals stick. Place on a piece of paper towel to drain excess water. Let it sit for about a minute. If you do put in glue, DO NOT USE Elmer's School Glue. It will not dissolve.
- Put down some MicroSet.
- Place your decal. Use some water and a soft brush to position it.
- Wick away excess water with cotton swabs and paper towels.
- Apply MicroSol. This will cause the decal to crinkle. Don't panic. It will also make the decal soft and easy to damage.
- Wick away excess MicroSol.
- Repeat. Do one side of the model at a time. Top, bottom, left, right.
- Let decals dry overnight. If you have an overlapping decal, like a windows decal and a Federation starship pennant, wait to do the top decal.
- Apply a gloss coat to seal the decals when done and to give them a uniform sheen.
- You may want to weather at this point, depending on the technique you are using. Oil washes work better on a glossy surface. YMMV.
- Apply a flat coat.
- Weather.

Hope this helps.

Vern
Forgot to mention I am doing Bandai models. Do the above rules still work the same? Thanks.
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

It *should* work. If you have one, test with a spare decal.

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

SpaceRanger1 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:08 pm Setting solutions can sometimes cause brown stains to appear under the top coat, especially if the water in your area is hard.
Try using filtered water or de-ionised (battery) water.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

seam-filler wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:47 am
SpaceRanger1 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:08 pm Setting solutions can sometimes cause brown stains to appear under the top coat, especially if the water in your area is hard.
Try using filtered water or de-ionised (battery) water.
Yep. Shoulda mentioned that, because I use distilled water from Walmart.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Gloss coat - honestly can be anything that's non water soluble. Acrylics are non water soluble once cured.
Set decal in water then apply MicroSet to the area you're going to but the decal on.
Once decal is throughly wetted remove from water and let rest on a nonabsorbent surface.
Once the decal can slide on the paper, pick up the paper & decal, blot off any residue, and the decal on the model by sliding it off the paper. Gently.
Then once positioned and blotted again, apply some MicroSol. If the surface is especially curved you may need to apply more MicroSol to help it settle. If MicroSol isn't doing the job use Solvaset.
Let dry.

But that's for waterslide decals. You said you're using Bandai decals, are these the self-adhesive version?
Abolish Alliteration
battlestar62

Post by battlestar62 »

thank you I have built models for long time but for some reason I have trouble with decals. I will try your method and see if it helps. on another note buying good decals is a way to get the best result see topic by the name of DECALS. I think its in general topics. and then decide who to buy from.

sorry I am just trying to help.