SPACE STATION 5-HUGE 8 FOOT DIO-how do i make it spin?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

deacon

SPACE STATION 5-HUGE 8 FOOT DIO-how do i make it spin?

Post by deacon »

Greetings,

Okay, so my idea was to build a huge dio of space station 5 in my garage. I was thinking of mounting a large motorized lazy susan onto the garage wall. The hub would be a hard lightwieght plastic can/tube. The outer rings and the connecting tubes would be a combination of cardboard tubes, foamboard and styrofoam (maybe) Lightweight materials not to exceed a total weight of 10-15 lbs. Was thinking of mounting rollers on a base that would help support the outer rim of the station. There will be a shuttle that will be mounted slightly off center on approach to the hangar.

So what will work and what wont. It wont be exactly SSV, but after watching 2001 ASO in imax, I just want to build it. Only one hub and one ring will be built . Surrounding the wall mount, will be four large, square mirrors to mimic the "2" ring of the station. No it will not look like the movie, the station will have to appear complete --unless I do something on the side facing the mirror.

Any suggestion will be helpful.
deacon

Re: SPACE STATION 5-HUGE 8 FOOT DIO-how do i make it spin?

Post by deacon »

Okay, had an idea, what if I mounted a bicycle tire with spinning axle? Takes the weight off the wall, still able to spin, will reinforce the outer ring to spin on rollers that will be on the floor mounted on a support box. The spinning motion can come from there.
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

deacon wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:14 pm Okay, had an idea, what if I mounted a bicycle tire with spinning axle? Takes the weight off the wall, still able to spin, will reinforce the outer ring to spin on rollers that will be on the floor mounted on a support box. The spinning motion can come from there.
Actually if you go for something more like Von-Braun's station in the original Disney show, it should work quite nicely as that model had wire spokes to hold the shape. You would just build up from an old bike rim.
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

Saw this in the Atomic City site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxCd7LwVeKc

Very cool looking!
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!