Re: Vinyl Masks

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

It is my understanding that vinyl masks have a "shelf life" of about two weeks, in that they will gradually shrink from their edges, making them unusable and unsuitable for long-term storage prior to use. How true is this? I have several projects in mind that will require the use of masks which seem to be available only as vinyl, but I'm reluctant to purchase them now for fear they won't be usable when I need them. But on the other hand, I fear that if I don't buy them now, they won't be available at all when I eventually need them. 'Tis a conundrum. :-/
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

In my experience, unused masks have a considerably longer shelf-life than two weeks. If it was that short, no seller would be able to keep stocks!

However, I have found that, once the adhesive is exposed to air (i.e. been used on a model) they do shrink noticeably in place after about a week. Mind you, after a week on the model they become difficult to remove as the adhesive cures.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson