Mig/Ammo's "starship" products

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Mig/Ammo's "starship" products

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

I'm interested in knowing more about these products by Ammo/Mig. I understand that the washes are for broader areas and the oil brushers are for detailing with more precision.

I am particularly interested in knowing the differences between these:

Starship Filth and Starship Bay Sludge.

also

Starship Wash and Starship Streaking.

Unfortunately, HLJ doesn't stock much of these, and they're the best bet to find them in Japan. I couldn't find them on the SSM store, so I went to eBay and I ordered the Starship Wash from Italy and Starship Filth from Poland. Also of interest is the oilbrusher Space Purple which should look real nice.

If you've used these, what is your opinion? HLJ carries the Sludge Bay and Space Purple, so I might get those. I'm also curious if anyone has used any of these products on Bandai plastic models.

Thanks.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
widget

Re: Mig/Ammo's "starship" products

Post by widget »

To point out the obvious, the triangle in the lower right corner of the pic of each product is a color example. Subtle differences in hue.
This IS my sig.
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

widget wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:26 pm To point out the obvious, the triangle in the lower right corner of the pic of each product is a color example. Subtle differences in hue.
So that's it? Reading the descriptions led me to believe that there's some sort of special property of the chemistry to create a streaking effect, etc. "...specially formulated to create the distinctive streaked look..." Or is it just in the way it is applied?
Greg
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
widget

Post by widget »

First off,I apologize if my reply was snarky.
I was tired and irritated about the young people at my job taking 5 1/2 hours to do a 2 hour task. I had to cover everything they didn't get done.

In answer to your question: I dunno!
Could be the formulation or the applicator that comes with the vial.
The closest I've ever come to using a wash was using the sediment on the bottom of my bottle of brush cleaner.
Nice and dirty.
This IS my sig.
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

No offense taken. I think I'll just buy the sludge bay and space purple from HLJ and do a comparison myself.
Greg
widget

Post by widget »

Let us know what the "secret" is. :D
This IS my sig.
geck

Post by geck »

I have some and I have used the Starship Filth on my Bandai 1/144 Falcon. Highly recommend them.

The nice thing about these is the pre-thinning which makes it much easier to apply and wipe off excess. I used Turpenoid to thin and had no issues with cracking. I did use a primer (Tamiya) on the plastic though before final paint.

The brush that comes with them is kinda useless...so you can just use to get it on the model and then use another brush to manipulate.